Clear All
  • SHADOWFOX
    Veteran Member
    • May 2005
    • IL, USA.
    • DELTA 36-675

Rod Kirby Shop

Hi Mate,

I really look forward to each and every post from you specially if it is something about your shop which looks really great.. I just got started with woodworking and still learning and putting together my shop aka 2 car garage which my wife gave to me as my dedicated woodworking shop. Do you happen to have plans on your shop cabinets, workbench, etc? I showed some pics of your shop to my wife and I told her that someday that is what I want my shop to look like. Her reply to me was that if you learn how to do that, you will have my lifetime blessing of buying your woodworking power tool needs. I believe I am progressing very well but it is hard to come up with a plan by myself so if you do have plans it would be a great help to impress my love of me life. She just let me ordered the delta x5 jointer because I just built some bookcases made of laminated MDF for our basement.. Maybe she will let me buy a planer if I complete the cabinets in the garage =)
    Chris

"The first key to wisdom is constant and frequent questioning, for by doubting we are led to question and by questioning we arrive at the truth." -Pierre Abelard 11th Century philosopher.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

if you got that jointer you'd better start making stuff out of materials other than MDF! Like how about real wood?
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• SHADOWFOX
      Veteran Member
      • May 2005
      • IL, USA.
      • DELTA 36-675

I know, I know.. These where the 10 sheets of 3/4 laminated (melamine) MDF 4x8 sheet that I scored at BORG back in July of last year at $5.00/sheet.. Right now I am still trying to learn how to use these tools so I figured a better way to learn is by building fixtures with cheap stuff. Eventually I will build some with real wood nice hardwoods but I feel I still have a long ways to go. Let me tell this Hitachi M12V router had no problems with making dado cuts on these laminated MDF. The Freud LU84 blade worked great as well. One of these days I'll make something out of hardwood.
      Chris

"The first key to wisdom is constant and frequent questioning, for by doubting we are led to question and by questioning we arrive at the truth." -Pierre Abelard 11th Century philosopher.

Comment

• DonHo
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2004
        • Shawnee, OK, USA.
        • Craftsman 21829

Don't forget you'll need a full time maid to keep the shop as clean as Rod's. I'm sure your wife will sign off on that

DonHo
        Don

Comment

• greencat
          Established Member
          • Dec 2005
          • Grand Haven Mi

Originally posted by DonHo
          Don't forget you'll need a full time maid to keep the shop as clean as Rod's. I'm sure your wife will sign off on that

DonHo
          Maybe instead of the traditional French Maid outfit you could ask for Heidi from Tool Time.
          Thanks again,
          Mike

Comment

• RodKirby
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
            • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

Shadowfox - Thank you for the kind words.

I'm sorry, I don't have any plans - almost all of my "stuff" comes from sketches made at the time and then discarded. For example: the quilt cabinet was a collaboration with LOML.

Loring - I don't always use MDF!

Last edited by RodKirby; 12-06-2008, 11:28 PM.
            Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

Comment

Working...