• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • meika123
    • Dec 2002
    • Advance, NC, USA.
    • BT3000

Dust collection for Miter Saw

Still having a problem with the dust collection for my miter saw. I am using a small hose connected to the outlet of my DeWalt CMS going into a 4" hose hooked to my DC piping. Small pieces of material get stuck in the small hose and won't make it to the 4" hose. Going straight into the 4" hose it pulls everything away like a bullet.
    My saw arrangement is the saw mounted on a work table with 4' extensions on either side. The whole deal is attached to a wall, and there isn't much room between the saw and the wall. Upon moving the saw to 45 degrees, the 4" hose kinks and binds when hooked directly to the MS.
    Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Dave in NC
    Stress is when you wake up screaming and then you realize you haven't fallen asleep yet.
  • don_hart
    Veteran Member
    • May 2003
    • Ledayrd, CT, USA.

Well if the Miter saw DC outlet points straight back from the saw you might try using a 45 or 90 degree angle connector to aloow you hose to have a straight shot out of the saw either up or down depending on how you have your piping run.

Also woodcraft sells a swivel fitting that might makes things work a little smoother you can find it HERE.

You could also move to a heavy duty 4" hose. you would find this almost impossible to kink. They make theese things so you can stand on them without them collasping.
    Don Hart

You live and learn. At any rate you live.

www.hartwoodcrafts.com

Comment

• meika123
      • Dec 2002
      • Advance, NC, USA.
      • BT3000

Hey Don.
      Where ya been, Buddy. Good to hear from you again.

Dave in NC
      Stress is when you wake up screaming and then you realize you haven't fallen asleep yet.

Comment

• maxparot
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Mesa, Arizona, USA.
        • BT3100 w/ wide table kit

Miter saws are very difficult to collect all the dust from. A vacuums or DC connected to the dust port just doesn't seem to get it all.
        I use a big Gulp hood connected to my DC. It gets about 90%. I've seen a down draft hood that may be better by virtue of it's size but it is pricey. Other that that I've thought about building a larger hood.
        Opinions are like gas;
        I don't mind hearing it, but keep it to yourself if it stinks.

Comment

• just4funsies
          • Dec 2005
          • Florida.
          • BT3000

Have you thought about stepping up your small outlet (I'm assuming it's 1-1/4") up to 2-1/2" hose long enough to emerge from the tangle before going up again to 4"? I'm sure the 2-1/2" would be easier to maneuver in tight areas. Avoid using any 90-degree elbows in the small stuff... It'll just make it worse.
          ...eight, nine, TEN! Yep! Still got all my fingers!

Comment

• meika123
            • Dec 2002
            • Advance, NC, USA.
            • BT3000

Originally posted by just4funsies
            Have you thought about stepping up your small outlet (I'm assuming it's 1-1/4") up to 2-1/2" hose long enough to emerge from the tangle before going up again to 4"? I'm sure the 2-1/2" would be easier to maneuver in tight areas. Avoid using any 90-degree elbows in the small stuff... It'll just make it worse.
            As a matter of fact, that is exactly what I have now. It will remove dust, but any small wood sections will get stuck in the small hose.
            I know this is primarily for dust, but I should be able to throw a small chunk of cut-off wood into it, and it takes it away.

Dave in NC

Comment

• mojoel
              Forum Newbie
              • Mar 2006

I've got the same issue. I've got a deWalt dw716 mounted to a bench without much clearance to the wall. I'm just using a shop vac for collection right now, but I don't know where to find a 1 1/4" 90 to connect to the saw. I've looked online & at Lowes. Anybody got a source?

Comment

• Tom Miller
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2003
                • Twin Cities, MN
                • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

The best (and first) thing to do, IMO, is get everything out from between your saw and a 4" pipe. These photos are of my (dual miter, dual bevel) SCMS -- an even more unwieldy task for DC than a CMS.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SCMS DC0.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	779171

Name:	SCMS DC1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	779172

After you get the 4" fitting in place, you can try to extend the flow zone around the saw. That's where things get a little kludgy, at least for me:

Name:	SCMS DC3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	779173

Since these pictures, I've tidied up the connections, etc. More importantly, I've made the enclosure so it's very quick to put on and pull off. If I'm beveling at 45 degrees, the current enclosure can't stay. The 4" hose can, though, and that's what catches 80% or more.

Regards,
                Tom

Comment

Working...