• Show
Clear All
  • RmeDad
    Established Member
    • Jan 2006
    • Scottsdale, AZ
    • BT3100-1

Better than a ShopVac?

Is this a better solution than using a ShopVac in my garage? Looks like a good alternative for a low volume user?!?!?!?!?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=94029

Comments appreciated, I'm a newbie to WW.
    Jack

Throughout my racing career I was constantly reminded of this: "Keep the pointy end forward and the shiny side up!"
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

at 35 microns the cut ppoint of fitration is way high. Particles below 35 microns are worst for your health and will go right thru the bag.
    a shop vac with an inexpensize HEPA filter will cut down to 1 micron, I think.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• MBG
      • Apr 2003
      • Chicago, Illinois.
      • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by RmeDad
      Is this a better solution than using a ShopVac in my garage? Looks like a good alternative for a low volume user?!?!?!?!?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=94029

Comments appreciated, I'm a newbie to WW.
      This is by far the one to get especially when you use a 20% off coupon:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=45378

I've had one for over 2-years now and it performs well.

Mike

Comment

• Russianwolf
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
        • One of them there Toy saws

I've looked at that one and noticed it looks almost identical to the PSI 900CFM unit. I think it would work fine, but you will need to replace the bag.
        Mike
        Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• just4funsies
          • Dec 2005
          • Florida.
          • BT3000

If you run a search on this board, I think you will find other threads about the HF DC's, including where to buy better bags to fit these units.
          ...eight, nine, TEN! Yep! Still got all my fingers!

Comment

• jAngiel
            • Oct 2003
            • Ryobi BT3100

That looks pretty similar to the one that some of us got at Lowes on clearance for $35. I like it, it works fine and moves around the garage easily. I am considering getting one of those grizzly bags that trap the finer particles, but even with the stock bag it works great (although I haven't used it with mdf yet)
            James

Comment

• DonHo
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2004
              • Shawnee, OK, USA.
              • Craftsman 21829

James I got the Clearence unit from Lowes and just ordered the 3 micron bag from Grizzly. The bag they sent me has an opening of about 13.5" to fit on the 4" outlet of the DC and their tech support tells me just to "gather" it around the opening and it will fit well. See my post about it
              http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=18570 . I'm very unhappy although I haven't tried the "gather" it approach yet. Just an heads up on the Grizzly bag. BTW if you do order the Grizzly bag, I'd be interested to hear if you get the same bag as I got.
              DonHo
              Don

Comment

• jnesmith
                • Jan 2003
                • Tallahassee, FL, USA.

I also got the similar Delta unit on sale at Lowes. Like others, I added this 0.3 micron bag: http://www.grizzly.com/products/H4340

Works much better than my shop vac, and is MUCH more quite. There was not a lot of slack in the mouth of the bag, so attaching it tightly to the port was no problem.
                John

Comment

• RmeDad
                  Established Member
                  • Jan 2006
                  • Scottsdale, AZ
                  • BT3100-1

Thanks guys! Appreciate all the info. I believe that I will purchase a larger unit. Maybe the one Mike suggests at HF on sale for $179 with and additional 20% off.

Here's a follow-up question: These big units are 15 amps. Do I need to put it on it's own circuit?
                  Jack

Throughout my racing career I was constantly reminded of this: "Keep the pointy end forward and the shiny side up!"

Comment

• sacherjj
                    Not Your Average Joe
                    • Dec 2005
                    • Indianapolis, IN, USA.
                    • BT3100-1

If you are going with the HF 2HP unit, you should look at the Jet Cannister filter that is $55 at Amazon. It seems like it should fit it and a filter upgrade will make this DC even better. Thread is in the Bargain forum.
                    Joe Sacher

Comment

• JR
                      The Full Monte
                      • Feb 2004
                      • Eugene, OR
                      • BT3000

Originally posted by RmeDad
                      Here's a follow-up question: These big units are 15 amps. Do I need to put it on it's own circuit?
                      Probably. When this thing fires up it really draws some current. You definitely want it on a separate circuit from your table saw.

JR
                      JR

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 2005
                        • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by sacherjj
                        If you are going with the HF 2HP unit, you should look at the Jet Cannister filter that is $55 at Amazon. It seems like it should fit it and a filter upgrade will make this DC even better. Thread is in the Bargain forum.
                        Those were sold out within hours. They are no longer availiable.

Comment

Working...