X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rickd
    Established Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Cowichan Bay, 30 mi. north of Victoria, B.C., Canada.
    • Ryobi BT3100

new dust collection system installed

after buying a new grizzly 1029z 2hp dc about a month ago, i've finally finished the first half of the dc conduit system in my workshop and now have my planer, jointer, bt3100(top and bottom) and a floor sweep hooked up to the dc.

it really sucks!! hauls chips and dust out of each machine easily and there is a lot of air flow thru the floor sweep at the bottom front of the bt3100 - the sweep works great, all i have to do is get a broom and sweep near the front of the gate and it's gone.

i was kind of worried as to how it would work given all the talk about cfm's, air-flow, duct-size, drop-size, hp etc. but, in the end i used 4" ducting for my main and branch ducts. i used rigid pipe as much as possible(pvc sewer/drain) and pvc wyes and elbows, and limited the use of flexible conduit as much as possible. i was thinking about a 6" main, but in the end opted for 4" - mostly because of cost. i used blast gates to isolate each machine.

i had to run a 2 x 4 across the shop about a foot down from the ceiling to support the duct to the shark-guard and still allow the garage door to open over the top. the 2 x 4 will come in handy as that is where i am going to hook the 'shark guard' and flex-hose to when the guard has to come off for any reasons - it will be right out of the way, but just take a second to hook back up.

the next step will be to run conduit from the second port on the grizzly dc to the other wall of my shop and hook up my router table, band saw, drill press and belt/disc sander - nothing's ever all done!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by rickd; 02-27-2006, 06:14 PM.
    rick doyle

Rick's Woodworking Website
  • dkhoward
    • Dec 2003
    • Lubbock, Texas, USA.
    • bt3000

Looks really good!. I ran all of my pipe overhead and then did drops down the walls to blast gates. I am planning on adding in a drop over the table saw to access the dc port on my blade guard. I bought a remote control switch that I wired into the power circuit on the fan. That was the best dollars I spent I think. To be able to turn the thing on and off at will from anywhere in the shop is a god send.
    Dennis K Howard
    www.geocities.com/dennishoward
    "An elephant is nothing more than a mouse built to government specifications." Robert A Heinlein

Comment

• dlminehart
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2003
      • San Jose, CA, USA.

I agree about the remote control. Mine works through my garage wall, so the DC I placed in the shed I contstructed outside against the garage wall can be controlled from inside. Very quiet!
      - David

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” -- Oscar Wilde

Comment

• monte
        Forum Windbag
        • Dec 2002
        • Paw Paw, MI, USA.
        • GI 50-185M

Looks good Rick. Should work very well.
        Monte (another darksider)
        Reporting Live from somewhere near Kalamazoo

http://community.webshots.com/user/monte49002

Comment

• lrogers
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Mobile, AL. USA.
          • BT3000

Nice job. I really miss my DC, but once the new shop is built, I'll get it installed and plumbed like yours.
          Do you find the pipe running across the floor to be too much of a pain? I was thinking of running the pipe for the saw in the slab when it's poured.
          Larry R. Rogers
          The Samurai Wood Butcher
          http://splash54.multiply.com
          http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

• rickd
            Established Member
            • Jan 2004
            • Ryobi BT3100

quote:Originally posted by lrogers

Do you find the pipe running across the floor to be too much of a pain? I was thinking of running the pipe for the saw in the slab when it's poured.
            hi,

the short run of pipe across the floor doesn't really create any kind of problem for me. luckily, it's by the garage door, so i rarely go in that area while i'm working in the shop and i have room on the other side of the bt3100 to get big stuff in and out.

of course, i'd prefer it wasn't there - but, i don't have much choice - other than drilling up the concrete. prior to installing the dc, i had a 4" flex pipe running across the same location to my shop-vac, so i guess i'm kind of used to it now.

i might put a small ramp over it or something else if i can think of anything just for cosmetic purposes - but, it's not really a problem.

rick doyle

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Rick, that's a nice setup.
              Are the PVC pipes S&D, and the elbows and wYe's the ones sold for WWers? I'm worried about how everything will fit together.
              Does the flex 4" hose just slip over the PVC?

Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• rickd
                Established Member
                • Jan 2004
                • Ryobi BT3100

quote:Originally posted by LCHIEN

Are the PVC pipes S&D, and the elbows and wYe's the ones sold for WWers? I'm worried about how everything will fit together.
                hi loring,

thanks, the pvc pipes are S&D - about a 1$ a foot at HD. also, the black elbows and wYes are the ones sold for WWers - they just fit nicely inside the white pvc pipe. the 4" flex hose does not slide over the pvc pipe though(at least i wasn't able to do it) - but, there is a black 'splice' connector that fits inside the white pvc(the same as elbows and wYes) and you can connect the flex-hose over the other end - i think i used 2 of those in my setup.

the system is working great - i'm really happy with it. after i use it somemore, i still might tweak it a bit getting rid of some more flex-hose(jointer to main duct) and installing more rigid pvc.
                rick doyle

Comment

• jbalders
                  Established Member
                  • Oct 2003
                  • Vienna, VA, USA.
                  • BT3100 + Shopsmith

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                  They're different sizes. The S&D pipe is 4" ID (fittings are like 4.25" ID), while the WW fittings are <4" OD and flex pipe around 4" ID. Some of the tighter fitting blast gates (like the Aluminum ones, I hear) fit tigher, and could probably just be attached with some caulk. The ABS ones are pretty loose.

Here's how I did the DC network for my dad, using mostly S&D used some ABS blast gates to connect the 4" WW flex:

http://www.bt3central.com/showpost.p...0&postcount=14

Jeff
                  Last edited by jbalders; 02-15-2006, 11:58 PM.
                  Jeff

BOFH excuse #360: Your parity check is overdrawn and you're out of cache.

Comment

Working...