• Show
Clear All
  • retired wrench
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2005
    • grantsville, W V, USA.
    • BT 3100-1

home made chip/dust collector

Hey guys, having fun with the digital cam my son gave me for Christmas.......This is my homemade chip collector I made last winter, now I have the pics to share it.....Nothing fancy, but it works, and was cheap.........

I`m using the cloth dust bag, from the BT 3,for collecting fine dust from the overflow vent, I leave the zipper open a couple inches to exhaust the air.

Clean out door.........

I made this out of poplar framing, MDF for the sides, ply on the bottom and top........casters let me roll it around. Plastic connectors and hose from Woodcraft.
  • LinuxRandal
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2005
    • Independence, MO, USA.
    • bt3100

What is the motor?

Other specs?
    She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

quote:Originally posted by LinuxRandal

What is the motor?

Other specs?
      I think the DeWalt Planer is designed with an internal dust ejecting fan or blower design that shoots the debris out the port.

That probably provides the go for this setup.

Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• retired wrench
        Forum Newbie
        • Jan 2005
        • grantsville, W V, USA.
        • BT 3100-1

Your so correct, Loring.......when that Dewalt is in action, the BT3 bag is blown up like its gonna burst, thats why I leave a few inches of the zipper undone, to exhaust the air. The bag collects what ever small dust blows out,,,,, and she really blows with gusto!

Comment

• onedash
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2005
          • Maryland
          • Craftsman 22124

Do you have 50 feet of hose on that thing? I got the single speed dewalt and I just hook it up to my DC. I dont think the fan is as strong as the dual speed one. IF I do a 8+ or wider board it can clog up the DC sometimes. It all jams at the inlet.
          YOU DONT HAVE TO TRAIN TO BE MISERABLE. YOU HAVE TO TRAIN TO ENDURE MISERY.

Comment

• retired wrench
            Forum Newbie
            • Jan 2005
            • grantsville, W V, USA.
            • BT 3100-1

RE: onedash.............not sure how long that hose is, the collection box is maybe 6 ft in front of the planer.......It is a two speed job, # DW735.... Never had a clog problem, that fan is very strong, blows up the BT3 collection bag like a ballon.
            I just got done running some 12`` wide poplar thru it, when the BT3 collection bag starts gathering chips, I know its time to empty the box........

Comment

Working...