X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gary
    • May 2004
    • Versailles, KY, USA.

Need double breaker

I have a GE load center in the main house that uses 1" breakers. I need to find a dual 15A breaker that fits into one 1" slot. I need two slots to insert the breaker for the subpanel and I only have one open slot now. Combining two existing 15A 1" breakers into one slot will free up the space I need.

Does anybody know where I can find one of these for my panel? Part Number perhaps?
    Gary
  • gjat
    • Nov 2005
    • Valrico (Tampa), Florida.
    • BT3100

Call the local GE Supply.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Lowes or Hime depot stock breakers for most popular style boxes.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• gary
        • May 2004
        • Versailles, KY, USA.

quote:Originally posted by gjat

Call the local GE Supply.
        I called them today and learned plenty. The 1" breakers and the dual 1" breakers have a different mounting mechanism to the power bus. He said "some" GE Load Centers will accomodate duals and some will not.

I'd been looking for a dual with the same mounting mechanism and it apparently does not exist. So I'll buy one the the duals and see if it fits into my panel.
        Gary

Comment

• crokett
          The Full Monte
          • Jan 2003
          • Mebane, NC, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3000

I did the same thing before Christmas with a Siemens/ITT panel. Get the model# off your current breaker and call a commercial supply house. IF you call enough of them you should find someone who can tell you what you need. If you try the BORG or Lowes, they may have a dual breaker version of your single breaker with a similar model#. That is the way it was with my Siemens breakers. Single breaker was an XX15, dual was an XX1515. There was no difference in the mounting on my box.
          David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Hellrazor
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2003
            • Abyss, PA
            • Ridgid R4512

Do some search online.. if you have an old breaker, enter the info and search. If you are lucky, you will hit a site that lists all the breaker info.

Comment

• burrellski
              Established Member
              • Dec 2005
              • Saint Joseph, MO.

The local BORG carries GE double breakers. I was there yesterday picking up a couple Eaton breakers and the GE double breakers were right above what I was looking for. Not sure if they are the right type for you panel or not, but they are definately available.

Comment

• RichG
                Forum Newbie
                • Apr 2003
                • Ashland, MA, USA.
                • BT3001

If you need a "Dual Pole" breaker that is not the same as the space saving "dual breaker in a single breaker space" kind of breaker. The dual pole breaker actually pulls power from both legs in the panel giving you 220 across the 2 terminals of the breaker. Where the space saving breakers (IIFC) give you the same leg to both terminals which would give you 110 to neutral but zero volts across the two terminals. So depending upon what you are powering with this breaker would determine which would be appropriate.

-Rich
                There will be no parking in my shop

Comment

• gary
                  • May 2004
                  • Versailles, KY, USA.

quote:Originally posted by RichG

Where the space saving breakers (IIFC) give you the same leg to both terminals which would give you 110 to neutral but zero volts across the two terminals.
                  This is what I'm looking for. The GE guy said I need a THQP215 but said that not all GE Load Centers could accomodate them. I'll pick one up at HD this weekend and see if I'm lucky or not.
                  Gary

Comment

• JimD
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2003
                    • Lexington, SC.

Gary,

If it does not fit into you panel it may be worth a quick review of why. My panel will accept these sort of breakers but only in the last two positions. There is a notch in the mounting bracket and a piece sticking out of the breaker that fits into the notch. Nothing to do with the electrical part of the breaker. Now I am not exactly advocating this but I understand from a reliable source that one can just cut off the little breaker piece and everything works fine. It is generally a poor idea to modify things that protect you and your house like breakers but.....

Jim

Comment

• paulstenlund
                      Established Member
                      • Feb 2004
                      • Puget Island, Wa.

Ah HA -- Just the idea I needed. A new circuit for the BT. Checked out my full ITC load center to find out what kind of breakers (1") and there was one replaced with a GE type THQL - went to BORG with all the numbers etc - no help (to long a story to tell - end was "bring in breaker"). Went to local electrical supply house showed them the numbers and they went to the breaker bins and said here you are. 45 min of flustration vs. 3 min of satisfaction, now I have a dedicated 20amp circuit for the bt, rs, bs.
                      Thanks again to the forum

Comment

Working...