• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dlminehart
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2003
    • San Jose, CA, USA.

Routing for router plate in laminate

I have some lengths of laminated kitchen counter that I'm hoping to use for a router table. I have a template that allows me to cut a groove matching my router plate, after which I'll use a jigsaw to remote the inner portion of the grooved area.

Is there anything I should know before easing my handheld Bosch 1617 with pattern bit into the surface of the laminate? I've never routed into the middle of laminate on particle board.
    - David

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” -- Oscar Wilde
  • RayintheUK
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2003
    • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Are you sure that's the best way to do it, David? I've always removed the central portion first, then rebated the groove for the plate to sit in.

Anyway, no big deal about routing laminate, providing that the cutter is sharp and you remember that the direction of cut for internal pattern-following is clockwise. A pilot hole (or even a through hole) somewhere within the central portion will give you some practice first.

Ray.
    Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

• dlminehart
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2003
      • San Jose, CA, USA.

Ray, I'd read that one should groove then saw, but I don't know if it makes any difference.
      - David

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” -- Oscar Wilde

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

I've always though for rabetting, that turning a bigger bit rather than a smaller diameter bit made for smoother routing. I'm thinking a 1/2 or 3/4" or even 1" bit for a 1/4" rabbet rather than 1/4" bit for a 1/4" rabbet.

If that's the case, then cutting the big hole first as opposed to routing the groove first would mean removing less material and making the rabbet operation easier and faster.

Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Scottydont
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2003
          • Edmonds, WA, USA.
          • Delta Industrial Hybrid

IMHO Trust me, route the groove first then cut the main hole. Most of us did it the other way the first time. [V] The reason is that cutting the groove first it will allow the router base to be fully supported.
          Scott
          "The Laminate Flooring Benchtop Guy"

Edmonds WA

No coffee, no worky!

Comment

• Imadunatic
            Established Member
            • Feb 2005
            • Barryton, Mi, USA.

I cut the hole first on mine, seemed to work well, after i had the "rough" (and i do mean rough) hole sawed through, i used a 1" straight bit with my homemade and handy setup to rough in the rabbet, i left approx. 1/8" for cleanup with a 1/2" straight bit, it left a beutiful finish and made the rads on the corner of the rabbet the same size as my plate, i have another post in this forum with pics, it worked really well, i have more pics nearly step by step if you want em, but i think you are already beyond that,

kevin
            \"Run Varnish, Runnnnnn\"

Comment

Working...