X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jcrenick
    Forum Newbie
    • Jul 2005
    • Virginia.

Grizzly has a shop planer which may be of use.

http://www.grizzly.com/workshopplanner.cfm?

Comment

• Deadhead
      Established Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Maidens, Virginia, USA.
      • BT3100

I think I'd skip right over 14'x16' and go for 16'x16' - assuming you have the yard space, of course. One reason is it's easier - the floor is 4 sheets of plywood by 2 sheets. The siding could be 4'x8' sheets of T1-11, four on each side. That also takes care of raising the tops of the walls from 6' to 8'. In a small shop, overhead storage can make a big difference.

"Success is gettin' what you want; Happiness is wantin' what you get." - Brother Dave Gardner (1926-1983)

Comment

• Donnie
        Forum Newbie
        • Aug 2005
        • Brandon, MS, USA.

quote:Originally posted by Deadhead

I think I'd skip right over 14'x16' and go for 16'x16' - assuming you have the yard space, of course. One reason is it's easier - the floor is 4 sheets of plywood by 2 sheets. The siding could be 4'x8' sheets of T1-11, four on each side. That also takes care of raising the tops of the walls from 6' to 8'. In a small shop, overhead storage can make a big difference.
        that is a good point as well. I was reviewing the plans and ideas, and I thought to myself that it would be allot easier to make it even. Thanks to all for everyones input - it is greatly appreciated.
        Now to see if I have enough room in my back yard.
        Donnie

Comment

• mattc183
          Established Member
          • Jul 2005
          • enid, oklahoma, USA.

Hellrazor and Deadhead make good points about framing and waste. I didn't read through the plans but there will be a lot heavy stuff in there so I hope the foundation is proper.

mattc
          \"...for I know one thing, and that is that I know nothing.\"
          -Socrates

Comment

• ironhat
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2004
            • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
            • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

You can make anything work if you want to badly enough. That said, if you are planning on building anything that uses sheet goods you're gonna find yourself outside on sawhorses rough cutting stock so that you can manage it on the saw for final size. My shop is
            14 x 24 and that's what I have to do. Geez, 12x16 make mine sound like the Taj Mahal! Good luck with what ever you do but bit the financial bullet now or curse the place where you're supposed to be having fun, forever. I've been there and won't go back!
            Blessings,
            Chiz

Comment

• monte
              Forum Windbag
              • Dec 2002
              • Paw Paw, MI, USA.
              • GI 50-185M

Nice plan Donnie. Thanks for posting it.
              Monte (another darksider)
              Reporting Live from somewhere near Kalamazoo

http://community.webshots.com/user/monte49002

Comment

• Jim-Iowa
                • Mar 2005
                • Colfax, Iowa, USA.

A lot of good advice! I am currently set up in a 1 1/2 story 28X28 garage. However what I`m using for the shop is close to your SQ footage. I know a lot of guys are working with less and it`s the skill of the worker that determines the quality of the work, not the size of his shop. So build the biggest shop you can afford, but build a shop in any event. Don`t not build holding out for bigger and lose the time in your shop.
                Sanity is just a one trick pony. Being a bit Crazy is a wide open field of opportunity!

Comment

Working...