• Show
Clear All
  • Donnie
    Forum Newbie
    • Aug 2005
    • Brandon, MS, USA.

Layout question

Does anyone have a 12'x 16' shop ?
    If you do, do you think that it is minimumally large enough for you ?

I really wish I could go 14' x 16', but don't think I can justify this.

I think my budget would only allow for a 12' x 16' shop. Besides, my back yard is not that big either.

I have seen allot of shops here already. I think when someone like me is already cramped for space, it is amazing how creative one can get. I do
    not have a shop. I am thinking about building one. I have already built a deck - so shop no problem. I have some plans. The only thing about the plans are that the ceiling height or wall height is not enough. I would change that.
    I see that there is no way to include an attachment. If someone wants a copy of the plans, email me.
  • gmack5
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Quapaw, Oklahoma, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000SX & BT3100

Donnie,
    There IS a way to attach a file to your post.
    Look just below the posting screen, there's a title called "ATTACH FILE" where you can up-load a file to this site, then reference it in your post, but you MUST upload it first.
    If you have something to show us, have at it!

Stop thinking why you can't and Start thinking how you CAN!
    Remember, SUCCESS comes in CANS!
    George

Comment

• Tom Miller
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2003
      • Twin Cities, MN
      • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

If you went 14 x 16, would your regret only be the $$ spent?

Can you see from your layout what that extra 2' might allow you to do?

My personal experience (keep or toss):

Before I framed the basement, I had my shop set up down there. I kept it restricted to where I assumed I'd put the walls. I came to realize that if I had 18 more inches in one direction, I could have a bench along that wall instead of having to leave it bare. That 18" made a big difference for me.

In each of several house projects we chose to stretch the $$ to get as much as we could in terms of space, quality, etc. In all cases, we agree that we're glad we spent the money, and feel like we would have regretted it if we hadn't.

Regards,
      Tom

Comment

• Donnie
        Forum Newbie
        • Aug 2005
        • Brandon, MS, USA.

I do not see any link at bottom of this page. However, I did post pictures of my first joint in another room here. I am not sure why it is not showing up on this particular forum page on my computer.

Comment

• Donnie
          Forum Newbie
          • Aug 2005
          • Brandon, MS, USA.

OK - I have to be logged in to see the upload and attach files. I thought I was logged in already - good greif.

Here are the shop plans - I do not remember where I found these.

Comment

• LarryG
            The Full Monte
            • May 2004
            • Off The Back
            • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Shop size is like everything else: it depends on your needs. But I've never, ever heard anyone complain about his shop being too big. As you say there is a lot of ingenuity demonstrated on this site but IMO it's extremely difficult to have a fully-equipped, well-founded woodshop in anything less than a space about the size of a two-car garage. Even your larger option is considerably less than half that size.

Adding two more feet to a new house is dirt cheap, big-picture-wise, because usually all you're adding is raw square footage. The spendy parts -- kitchen, bathrooms, heating/cooling system -- are affected not at all, or very minimally. Adding two feet to a new small shop building is a little different because the building is very basic; the whole thing is raw square footage, thus the per square foot cost is fairly constant regardless of size. Still, I'd urge you to add that two feet on NOW, while you can. You'll never again have the chance to get it so cheaply; and since a small shop building IS so basic, the outlay in terms of actual, real-world dollars will be pretty small. Tom is dead right ... when you're dealing with a space this small, another few inches here, another foot-and-a-half there, can literally make all the difference in the world.

My shop is 10'x19' clear inside, almost exactly the same square footage as your larger 14'x16' option after allowing for the thickness of the walls. And I'm here to tell you that it's tight, VERY tight -- and my materials storage and dust collector are in a couple of smaller, adjoining rooms. IOW, my main, 190SF space is strictly for the machines and assembly. It ain't enough. I'd like to add a lathe and a drum sander, but I'm out of room.

If you've not seen them, you might want to look at the batch of pictures that I uploaded the other day. I can't lay claim to being ingenious about the way I used the space. I just kept cramming stuff in wherever it would fit until I ran out of room. But maybe it'll give you a feel for what can be done in a space about the size you're considering.
            Larry

Comment

• JR
              The Full Monte
              • Feb 2004
              • Eugene, OR
              • BT3000

I really like that plan. Straightforward with good instructions.

You'd definitely want to rais the roof a bit. I'd also suggest skylights - there's no substitute for natural light.

As to your main point about 12'x16' - everyone wants more space. 12'x16' is a little cramped, but there are a number of people here working in smaller shops. You can make that much space work if you need to.

Wood Magazine has a number of shop layout ideas worth looking at. Their Ideashop2000 (I think that's what it's called) is a 12'x20' design and is loaded with good ideas. http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/li...magazine%2Ecom

Here are a couple of ideas that I would consider:
              • Wood storage in the rafters
              • DC and compressor outside (maybe a little shed attached to the shop building)
              • Mobile bases
              • Counters all at a common height

Good Luck!
              JR
              JR

Comment

• lrogers
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • Mobile, AL. USA.
                • BT3000

The shop I just vacated was 12'x15' and I had it stuffed to the gills. Get yourself a piece of poster board and draw your shop to scale and make cut outs of your tools/benches in the same scale. Much easier to move little piece of poster board than tools to find the best arrangement.
                When we moved all the stuff out, it took two trailer and pickup truck beds to get almost all of it (I still haven't moved the dust collector yet or my cut-off stack).
                I lined the inside with peg board so the walls provided a lot of space, but mobile tools are a must.
                Good Luck!
                Larry R. Rogers
                The Samurai Wood Butcher
                http://splash54.multiply.com
                http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

• BobSch
                  • Aug 2004
                  • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                  • BT3100

Donnie,

Thanks for posting the plans. I'm going to be building a shed in our yard and was just getting ready to go plan searching. Now I don't have to!

Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• Otter
                    • Nov 2003
                    • Cumming, GA, USA.
                    • Delta Left Tilt UniSaw

Donnie

I am the owner of a 12.5' by 16.5' sho in the basment. I find that mobile tools are a must.
                    All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible

T.E. Lawrence

Comment

• Hellrazor
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2003
                      • Abyss, PA
                      • Ridgid R4512

Everything i have is mobile in my shop. Both workbenches are on 4" wheels, i can turn the one workbench and it gives me an 8' outfeed table. I need to take pictures... simple setup, but it works well.

Comment

• TheChadNC
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Feb 2005
                        • Hickory, NC USA

I built my storage building frome these exact plans last fall, I changed mine to 12 x 12.

I dont recall these plans being free so I would be careful about posting them. I think they cost me $10.00 or so..........just my thoughts
                        "Hey you dang woodchucks, Quit chucking my wood!"

Comment

• Hellrazor
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2003
                          • Abyss, PA
                          • Ridgid R4512

Donnie, i just viewed those plans. I do not like the 24" OC wall framing, if you are in a snow or windy area, i would go with 16" OC. Same goes for the roof, spanning 24" with 1/2" plywood is not recommended. I would go with 16" OC rafters and stay with the 1/2" plywood. If you are in an area that enforces building codes, you might be required 3/4" plywood on that if you stay with 24" OC. I would also put 3 4x4's under the deck framing, one in the middle and one 1' from each edge. The reason for the extra 4x4 and moving the others out is to help distribute the weight of shop tools/wood/etc to 3 4x4's over 12' rather then 2. This will allow less flexing of the deck framing.

Oh well, don't mind me, i like framing a whole lot more then finish carpentry.... I can hide almost anything framing and being a 1/8" off isn't a big deal. And up until 8:10pm today (current time) i can honestly say none of the sheds, garages, porches, decks or houses i helped frame have fallen over.

Comment

• rbfunk
                            Established Member
                            • Dec 2003
                            • Garfield, NJ, USA.

I would plan to build in some stuff like wood storage and maybe a bench attached right to the studs. Check out your library for Tautons Small shop ideas. (I might have the title wrong but get to the library anyway.) Graph paper or computer to plan before building. (Poor Planing Prevents Proper Performance) Grizzley has an online shop planner but it's exclusive to their tools.
                            Bob
                            Oh what a tangled web we weave, when we are all hopped up on caffine.

Comment

• Donnie
                              Forum Newbie
                              • Aug 2005
                              • Brandon, MS, USA.

quote:Originally posted by Hellrazor

Donnie, i just viewed those plans. I do not like the 24" OC wall framing, if you are in a snow or windy area, i would go with 16" OC. Same goes for the roof, spanning 24" with 1/2" plywood is not recommended. I would go with 16" OC rafters and stay with the 1/2" plywood. If you are in an area that enforces building codes, you might be required 3/4" plywood on that if you stay with 24" OC. I would also put 3 4x4's under the deck framing, one in the middle and one 1' from each edge. The reason for the extra 4x4 and moving the others out is to help distribute the weight of shop tools/wood/etc to 3 4x4's over 12' rather then 2. This will allow less flexing of the deck framing.

Oh well, don't mind me, i like framing a whole lot more then finish carpentry.... I can hide almost anything framing and being a 1/8" off isn't a big deal. And up until 8:10pm today (current time) i can honestly say none of the sheds, garages, porches, decks or houses i helped frame have fallen over.
                              that is a very good point. I need to look at the plans carefully. The plans really need to be adjusted for a workshop environment. that building is more for storage and stuff. But it helps me with a good start.

Thanks for everyones input !
                              Donnie

Comment

Working...