I'll try from work as well.

Todd
  • RodKirby
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
    • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

Moveable Joist Hangers - Storage

One of the things I planned for my Shed was being able to use the roof space for storage. The challenge was to come up with ideas for bridging the joists – to store items shorter than the distance between the joists, or that needed additional support.

Screwing directly to the joists works, but I don’t like the idea that I may be weakening the structure. It is also an awkward aligning job.

I also want to change things around, as I remove/add “stuff” up there.

So, I came up with the idea of movable “saddles” which hang on the joists. These don’t require drilling holes in the joists, are moveable, and trivial to construct.

Three items dictated the size –
    - The thickness of the joists
    - The gap under the panel door when it was raised. I wanted a one-size-fits-all.
    - The width I chose of the pre-cut “floor” boards.

Materials: I used pre-dressed pine – available in Oz “anywhere”. Cheap and easy to work. Hardware per hanger is 4 @ 3-1/2” x ¼” coach bolts/washers and wing nuts. I hate wing nuts (any knob is better), but in this case I didn’t want to have to use a wrench setting them up and moving them around – standing on a ladder!

All my (Oz) measurements are metric – I have converted to the closest inch equivalents.

Construction notes:
    This is an exercise in repetitive cutting/drilling. A drill press is a MUST for these – each saddle needs 12 holes drilled.

2 Top/Bottom supports: I was able to get 1-3/8” thick (x 2-3/4”) framing timber matching the thickness of the joists – I ripped the 2-3/4” down to 1-3/4” to match the hanging supports. The framing timber came with chamfers on all 4 corners.
    Length is 7” – leaving space for the 3-1/2” floor board.

4 Hanging supports: ¾” x 1-3/4” pre-dressed. I chose to rout a 1/8”R roundover on the outside edges. The length is 10-5/8” – as long as they could be and still allow the door to clear them. This left me about a 1-3/4” “gap” to hang the floor board.

Floor boards: ¾” x 3-1/2” pre-dressed. I chose to rout a 1/8”R roundover on all 4 edges. The length was determined by the distance between the joists. I also nailed stops at each end to prevent them slipping out.

Drilling: A single DP setup takes care of all holes. Prime target for DP dust collection! (BTW after 96 holes my right bicep is still sore)

In action: They work! Nice and solid – easy to drop over the joist for initial setup and easy to move. The top/bottom supports are a poofteenth thinner than the joists (just lucky), so tightening the wing nuts clamps the saddle to the joist.

I’m a happy camper

Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

Comment

• Hellrazor
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2003
      • Abyss, PA
      • Ridgid R4512

Thats a great idea, i'll throw my own twist into it. Depending on how heavy an item you are storing, you might need to fasten a 2x3 to the bottom of the floor boards for added strength.

Comment

• RodKirby
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

Mike - Good idea.

I usually fit an aluminum channel (say a 1" "U"), where that sort of thing is needed. Lighter and less bulky.

Comment

• Pappy
          The Full Monte
          • Dec 2002
          • San Marcos, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 (x2)

Great idea, Rod.
          Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
          Fools because they have to say something.
          Plato

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Another theory Shot to ****.

Do you realize we've just been provided with the first shot ever of the
            Kirby "Shed" ceiling - and there's conclusively no accumulation of dust there.
            The theory that the saw dust in Australia (at least in Rod's shop) settles to
            the ceiling is hereby disproved.

Nice job, as usual, Rod.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• monte
              Forum Windbag
              • Dec 2002
              • Paw Paw, MI, USA.
              • GI 50-185M

Nice idea Rod!
              Monte (another darksider)
              Reporting Live from somewhere near Kalamazoo

http://community.webshots.com/user/monte49002

Comment

• BobSch
                • Aug 2004
                • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                • BT3100

quote:Originally posted by LCHIEN

Nice job, as usual, Rod.
                Yeah, but a couple of the flourescent tubes are sticking out of the boxes, so all isn't lost [)]

Nice idea, Rod. I'm going to need some additional storage in my <s>garage</s> shop. Are Australian copyrights/patents enforceable in the Colonies?
                Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• crokett
                  The Full Monte
                  • Jan 2003
                  • Mebane, NC, USA.
                  • Ryobi BT3000

Rod,

That is an awesome idea and gives me an idea for storing some stuff in my shed.

BTW, are those honest-to-goodness PLANS on RULED PAPER for these things? I bet you even keep those plans filed. Me, I'm lucky if I get scribbles down on a napkin for plans.
                  David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• LarryG
                    The Full Monte
                    • May 2004
                    • Off The Back
                    • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

I noticed the plans, too, but for a different reason.

HAND-drawn? And with one version rudely scribbled over?

Oh, the humanity ...
                    Larry

Comment

• RodKirby
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

Well done Bob - I wondered if anyone would notice.

David, Larry - "Sketch" is more like it, for these. And this time I WILL file it - I may want to build more later.

Loring - Didn't I tell you the DC hose reaches the ceiling? [)]

Comment

• Hellrazor
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2003
                        • Abyss, PA
                        • Ridgid R4512

I bet the scribbled over one was the conversion to inches...

Rod, in the first picture, does the misses know all her tubberware contrainers are in the shop holding parts?

Comment

• Stick
                          • Sep 2003
                          • Grand Rapids, MB, Canada.
                          • BT3100

quote:Originally posted by LCHIEN

Nice job, as usual, Rod.
                          That's cause the rafters are varnished. The dust can't stick.

Comment

• RodKirby
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

Hellrazor - If I used hers she'd want 'em back! I PAID for those - they're MINE!
                            When I buy them, I sneak them into the Shed before she can say "Oh they look nice"...

Stick - The reason I didn't varnish the rafters was that I didn't want the glare from above [)]

Comment

• Hal4son
                              Established Member
                              • Jan 2003
                              • Richardson, Texas, USA.

Neat idea, nice and solid too. I've been trying to decide how to hang things from the joists, but my gara...shop has a sheetrock ceiling. So, I would first have to string runners along the joists, but screws would weaken the joists and might back out/pull out over time. Maybe some "U" shaped angle iron .... crud, I'll just have to keep thinking. Am I glad you don't live next door - I could never stand the comparisons. Seriously, thanks for sharing, again.
                              2nd Amendment - without it, the others are just words written in the wind.

Comment

Working...