X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Greeluke
    Handtools only
    • Aug 2023

Remove broken barrel hinge

Hi. Need to replace a number of broken barrel hinges on a small cabinet door. The barrels are in pretty tight and are not moving, and I cannot get a grip on the barrel to pull them out. Any suggestions? THANKS!!
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

One suggestion is to use a Dremel tool and cut/grind them off flush or below, then install new hinges of your choice, which might include new barrel hinges if desired, in between the original locations. This may work best if the barrels are glued in place and simply can Not be removed and you don't mind a few old holes.

Looks like there's not too much material to remove.

Another suggestion that occurs to me is to secure this to a drill press and use a screw extractor kit which involves drilling a appropriate sized hole in the remnants of the upper and lower barrels, and then using the extractor to enter the hole and dig into the piece and literally screw it out.
    extractor bit set sold at hardware stores every where for removing broken off, screwed in screw shanks. Use a tap handle turning counterclockwise to wedge the extractor into the screw and rotate it out. I realize the barrels are not screwed in but the rotating action will loosen them and the threads on the extractor will grab the inside of the hole you drilled. Brass is soft to drill but you may need to dremel a flat to enter the drill. THe drill size should be small enough not to damage the existing wood hole and large enough to enter the tip of the selected extractor bit. It might be good to start with a small bit like 1/8" and enlarge. Simply drilling might cause the barrel remnant to rotate and start to come out but will be pushing it the wrong direction.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	132.7 KB ID:	855804
    Set with drill tips
    Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	133.3 KB ID:	855805

Personally dremeling off the old and installing new ones in different places would be my choice unless really worried about appearance. Won't show when closed.​
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 08-17-2023, 09:02 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...