• Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Most likely stupid question RE: plastic and wood shop cabinet

I'm cheating, sort of . I am speeding the proecess up by using premade Sterilite 3 drawer cabinets for the actual cabinet of my drill press storage cabinet in the shop. Aside form holding drills and drill bits, no real stress or strain will be put on the thing, so I figure didn't have to be bombproof.

THe idea is to just create a mobile base / platform that straddles the Harbor Freight mobile base the drill press is attached to after I replace the supports for the DP with 2x6 stock, T&Ged and fitted onto the HF base. Trying to eliminate the sag I am getting right now... But I digress, BADLY...

Back to the rolling platform. THe thought was to simply screw the Sterilite cabinet to the base from below. BUT that poses an eensy weensy little problem...

The sockets for the casters of the Steriite cabinets are paltry little plastic holes. No threads like I was expecting, not sure why, but I was...

So that means I need to reinforce the holes with something I can screw into and have it hold securely.

I am 100% not allergic to getting a quart of epoxy resin and filling ALL the voids in teh bottom piece, but that would probably be overkill...

I could in theory also simply find a close enough to right diameter of hardwood dowel, and epoxy THAT to the caster hole, cut it flush and have a good bit of material to run a wood screw into.

Lastly, and yest this still involves epoxy. I COULD exposy in a corner block on each corner with a 1/4-20 thread insert. This however is likely overkill.

Given the incredibly simple, basic and stupid project at hand, am I thinking the eposied in dowel stock / wood screw approach is the wistest or am I aiming blundly here?
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • Jim Frye
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Maumee, OH, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

I'm curious. What was the price for the plastic cabinet? I made my rolling tool cabinets from 2x scrap lumber with 4" casters from HD with doors of scrap plywood and scavenged hinges. The exception is the drill press stand that utilized the stand from the BT3100 with a 2by riser and 2by bottom rails to screw the casters to.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	480DA960-1969-4C11-B4F7-26BADE5A9949.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	179.4 KB
ID:	851155

Jim Frye
    The Nut in the Cellar.
    ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• dbhost

dbhost
      commented
      Editing a comment
      Unfortunately I do not have quite enough scrap 2x or ply to build it, I do have enough to make the platform. And the plastic bin was dirt cheap. Like $ 20.00 each cheap.

If it was to hold any considerable weight, I wouldn't even consider using these plastic drawer sets.
Working...