• Show
Clear All
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Water based poly or oil based Poly

Which is tougher, longer lasting and more shop environment protective: Oil based poly or water based poly?

I am looking for practical experience and usage opinions. I know that water based is where we are headed, but that doesn't make it necessarily better.

Opinions please.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
  • Jim Frye
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Maumee, OH, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

I only tried water based once and didn't like it for the way it applied, but maybe I should have tried more. Old dog, new trick syndrome. I gotta believe there has to be some articles on the subject online. Thanks, now I won't be able to rest until ai find one now.
    Jim Frye
    The Nut in the Cellar.
    ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• Jim Frye
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Maumee, OH, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

How about this?

The battle of Water based vs Oil based Polyurethane is a delicate and tricky business, so it’s my job to simplify it for you.
      Jim Frye
      The Nut in the Cellar.
      ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• leehljp
        leehljp commented
        Editing a comment
        Excellent article. Thanks. In a shop environment with chemicals (paints and oils) I will probably use oil based poly with about 4 or 5 coats on my shop table. Thanks. That is what I was looking for. But still, I would like to see what others have to offer. I am always open to learning some different facts.
    • twistsol
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
      • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

I use both, Crystalac water based poly for spraying and Varathane brand for brushing. As far as durability between the two, there really isn't a difference but cleanup with the Crystalac is much easier and it is more clear I've done a lot of kitchen cabinets with the Crystalac and they have all held up really well..

For shop stuff, my wooden tops are finished with multiple coats of tung oil. It is a pain initially because it takes many days to get a good finish and is smells for weeks., but it is easy to re-coat when the tops invariably get beat up and the new coat softens what is there and bonds to it. Additional coats of poly just sit on top of the old coats.
      Chr's

Comment

• atgcpaul
        atgcpaul commented
        Editing a comment
        Do you use straight tung oil or do you cut it with some solvent?

• twistsol
        twistsol commented
        Editing a comment
        I use pure tung oil, pour it on and rub it in with a rag. When it eventually dries, I polish it with an auto buffer.
    • Condoman44
      Established Member
      • Nov 2013
      • CT near Norwich
      • Ryobi BT3000

I became a fan of water based since it was available for floors late 1999 and never looked back. I could do 3-4 coats a day and be done with the floor.

Comment

Working...