Upgrades to the compressed air piping system... Minor tweaks.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Upgrades to the compressed air piping system... Minor tweaks.

I love my compressed air piping system, but I also want to take advantage of every bit of capacity I have, and will or may have in the future.

Again, more engineering charts reviewed, and 3/8" ID pipe / tubing fittings will carry a little over 30 scfm at 90psi which is where my primary regulator is set to, and then the secondary gets reduced down...

1/4" fittings restrict to 13.35 scfm.

So with the tubing and hose being 3/8" ID, I am wanting to get as many of my fittings between the compressor out to the destination tools with a 3/8" ID.

THUS....

At the output of the dessicant dryer I am eliminating the 3/8 to 1/4 bushing, and the 1/4 MPT x 1/2 push to connect fitting, and replacing it with a 3/8" MPT x 1/2 push to connect fitting. Same thing happening at the outlet block ends, and replacing the quick couplers with Milton universal quick couplers that feature a 3/8" MPT and will fit type, H, M, and V fittings. The Central Pnuematic fittings I have on the hoses are equivalent to Type M Miltons...

Sadly the overhead hose reel won't support the 3/8" ID fittings so that stays with the 1/4, but the only air tools I have that need THAT much air flow is my texture hopper which wouldn't get used from the hose reel anyway...

My thought process here, is particularly with finishing equipment, to maximize my ability to flow air without too much restriction.

This effort most likely will not pan out for much of anything with my current compressor(s), but in the long run, I am REALLY drooling over a Quincy 60 gallon 5HP compressor, I think it is QT-54, which produces 15.4 SCFM @90PSI, They list 15.6 SCFM @ 40PSI, but for some reason I suspect that ad copy is wrong and low. I would expect somewhere just above 17. Either way, don't really need anything over 14... This setup, with hoses / hose couplers that would carry over the 3/8" ID would give me that air flow...

I just took some updated measurements, the workshop library may need to be uh, redesigned or at the very least, moved UP 8" to get clarance for a 60 gallon compressor, although I have plenty fo width and depth, just lacking height...
    Last edited by dbhost; 01-31-2022, 11:40 AM.
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

And sadly the 3/8" MPT x 1/2" tubing push to connect fittings are NOT 3/8" ID, they have a funny hex hole that has the SAME EXACT SIZE as the 1/4" MPT ones, the only advantage they offer is elimination of the 3/8 x 1/4 bushing to get to the outlet block. Oh well. I managed to drill one out without damaging the spring or seal and it is working well, but I will need to find a cheap source of these and bore them out, but I need to do it on a drill press and need an X/Y vise for that...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

If my support call was right, the Primefit 3/8 MPT x 1/2" push to connect are actually 3/8" ID. Ordered a pack of 4.

So for now...

#1. Both outlet blocks have 3/8" MPT ball valves fitted for dump, and dump they do, FAST. WIsh the compressor tank had a 3/8" NPT fitting for one of these, the 1/4" whisles LOUD when dumping. As in I have to wear earmuffs / PPE loud.
      #2. Both outlet blocks fitted with 3/8" High Flow Milton universal couplers. These allegedly fit Type V, Type M, which is what the Central Pnuematic plugs effectively are, and type A.
      #3. The modified 3/8 MPT x 1/2" push to connect fitting that I successfully modded is on the compressor filter output / manifold side after being obsessively cleaned of any metal shavings or other debris.

So I am waiting for the Primefit fittings which should be in, gotta love this, anytime from tomorrow to a week from tomorrow. Yep Amazon Prime shipped USPS... Yay...

Comment

Working...