• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

I used a technique I never saw before

I hot melt glued a workpiece that was too small to hold in a complex setup to the sliding jig.

I was cutting a fairly thin wedge using a taper jig on the table saw.

This was like 5° and 3/8" wide at the thin end, one inch wide at the leading edge and 7" long.

The taper jigs have a pair of arms with adjustable angle and a little hook to push the end of the piece through.

The hook was taller than the 3/8" of the thin end. and with the rip fence all the way over it was clear that it was going to hit the blade. And there was no place to push the workpiece. - too thin and even a thin shoe risked pushing it away from the hook.

I ended up with a 1/4" shim between the taper jig and workpiece so that the blade would clear the blade by 1/8".

But that still left how to hold the piece. and I feared for my fingers.

So I came up with this idea I have never seen before. I hot melt glued the shim to the taper jig and hot melt glued the workpiece to the shim. Now all I had to do was to use the taper jig vertical handle and keep the whole assembly to the rip fence. The fence, shim and workpiece were like one large workpiece.
    I have to say it worked OK.
    Hot melt adhesive was good - set quickly and was cleanly removable from all the pieces with a little effort.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 01-15-2022, 03:00 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • Jim Frye
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Maumee, OH, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

I did something similar some time ago, but used liquid hide glue and a sheet of paper bag material between the shim and workpiece. It's an old turner's trick for mounting a screwed on base plate to a bowl blank. The hot melt glue thing is much quicker though.
    Jim Frye
    The Nut in the Cellar.
    ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

I have seen the hot melt used as temporary holding on jigs a few times in the past, but don't think about it when it comes to using. I usually end up using double stick tape or small strips of duct tape,

Good idea.
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

this piece was thick enough to use push shoes on the side.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1140657.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	847465

The next rip was thinner (no picture) and was where I glued it all together.

Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...