• Show
Clear All
  • ballard770
    Established Member
    • Jan 2016
    • Washington State
    • Ryobi BT3000

Cart for cooler and fishing gear

I’m trying to get ready to do some fishing in the Skagit River next to a railroad bridge in Mount Vernon, Washington. It is on a sandy bar that become accessible as soon as the river drops some more. In the parking area the walking is quite easy until getting to the low bank that may have some boulders and logs but then depending on the crowd it can be a long walk in dry sand that makes walking difficult, especially if a cart has narrow wheels that don’t work well on sand. Because of the small bank a two wheel cart in my opinion is the way to go. I’ve seen a couple built like a hand truck that seems workable. In fact I have a handtruck that may work with larger pneumatic tires ( Harbor freight?) I have also seen some made with pvc pipe but I prefer to not use so much plastic as I am becoming a ‘Greenie’.

The season opens in July for pink salmon - limit is two but heavy run expected and the limit may be increased by two pinks. As these salmon are more fragile than other salmon it works best to get them on ice as soon as they are caught and to even bleed them and remove the gills. Pinks are not at the top of quality as far as salmon is concerned but I’ve smoked them in previous years and they come out great. Some of those fishing there on the sand bar prefer them to other salmon for smoking.

if anyone has suggestions for a two wheel cart/dolly to get to the rivers edge with my cooler, folding chair and small table bag please let me know.
    Hopefully I’ll bevfishing after the heat wave finishes. We’re just not used to the heat in the nineties or hundreds as what’s expected in Seattle just sixty miles to the south.

I’ll try to find some of the photos I have found online to post here

Lee
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

The best beach carts I’ve seen were wagons with large wheels, and the best home made ones had wheels that were repurposed from kids ride in battery cars. A pair of these wheels on a hand truck would handle sand bars great. It might not haul a pallet load of shingles but would easily haul an ice chest, chair and fishing tackle.

Comment

Working...