• Show
Clear All
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Dove Tail Jig

After watching a video on dovetails for a router table, I decided to get one but I was blown away at the prices for a simple pins and tails template.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viT3ZGAlzNw

AS I began to look at a simple pins and tails template for making the jig as show in the you tube, I decided to purchase a MilesCraft template. It was $44.99 when I bought it but it is $54.95 now.

Here are the two sets that I made: The bottom one is just after I cut the frame an before I sanded the pins. I was somewhat surprised at how nice it came out. It will be a couple of weeks before I have time to make anything with it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dovetail Jig closed in.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	842352

Click image for larger version

Name:	dovetail jig open.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	842351

Your dovetail usage and experiences?
    Attached Files
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
  • twistsol
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

The jigs you made with that kit look astonishingly similar to my $299 Sommerfeld dovetail jig. I wonder what I would have done with the addtional $250? The only advantage mine has is that I can vary the spacing of the dovetails. With a little effort though, you could accomplish that as well and make a set of jigs for each of the various drawer heights necessary.

I also like that you can extend the width pretty much infinitely.

Chr's

Comment

• atgcpaul
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2003
      • Maryland
      • Grizzly 1023SLX

I used the HF DT jig almost 20 years ago for a bunch of kitchen drawers. Not fancy, not forgiving, but it worked and wasn't expensive. That's the last DT jig I've used as I prefer other drawer assembly methods now--pocket screws with an applied front or dominoes, or if it's a special project, hand cut DTs.

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

Chris, After making this one, my mind has been running wild thinking of possibilities of other templates, but I am learning quite a bit. My mind is more creative than practical. I was trying to figure out how to use some with 1/2 in. shank bits (I have more than twice as many 1/2 in bits than 1/4 inch). Then it dawned on me that shank bearings on a 1/2 Inch bits wouldn't work from a router table because the guide bearings would have to be 3/4" at the least.

I do prefer using the router table than a router on a jig stand. There are too many configurations for my mind to handle with a jig that clamps two boards at a time where the thickness has to be taken into account also.

I used the HF DT jig almost 20 years ago for a bunch of kitchen drawers. Not fancy, not forgiving, but it worked and wasn't expensive. That's the last DT jig I've used as I prefer other drawer assembly methods now--pocket screws with an applied front or dominoes, or if it's a special project, hand cut DTs.
        I have one from HF, but after reading the instructions twice, I just gave up. The YouTube video in the OP is SO SIMPLE!
        Last edited by leehljp; 01-23-2021, 08:11 PM.
        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

Working...