Not woodworking but a project coming together...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Not woodworking but a project coming together...

OK so I have been busy with the home remodeling projects and one of those big projects is to move my structured wiring and Home Office from the back bedroom to the middle bedroom and combine it with the music Room.

In order to make this work the structured wiring rack and server rack he to be compressed some and placed in the closet.

I have the components and place and the cabling is starting to be pulled and terminated.

What is visible from top to bottom is my dd-wrt router and gigabit cable modem these connect to a 24 port gigabit switch and a 16 port category 6 patch panel. The 16 cables are distributed throughout the house.

One of the ports from the router connects to the 24 port switch. Another connects to my 2 line VoIP Adapter and the 8 cable 4 lines per cable distribution hub.

This means if I had the adapters for I could have 4 lines distributed to 8 different spots with this hub which I don't really need. One line is being used specifically for fax, The other for A telephone in the kitchen and a telephone in each of the 4 bedrooms.

There is a gap to pass cables and then to 16 port gigabit switches that will handle the iSCSI Storage network and of course at the very bottom is the power conditioner. Basically an over glorified rack mountable surge suppressor.

I believe I have already posted photos of the home built 20U server rack that's underneath that I am still trying to find affordable 2u rack mountable ATX compatible cases. I need 3 more....

When I am done there will be 4 October core AMD based servers creating a virtualization cluster, with one Intel Quad Core micro pc storage controller with 32TB local storage...

I know if you're not in IT it seems like a lot of overkill and to a certain extent it is but it is a training laboratory that I have set up for myself to help keep me reasonably fresh on technology that I can't drink for at work. Click image for larger version

Name:	20200226_211327.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	838775
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • Condoman44
    Established Member
    • Nov 2013
    • CT near Norwich
    • Ryobi BT3000

Well, I like it. This will pay off when a problem comes up and you need to figure out what you did X months ago. I like to label and document so in case of an issue I have a starting place.

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by Condoman44
      Well, I like it. This will pay off when a problem comes up and you need to figure out what you did X months ago. I like to label and document so in case of an issue I have a starting place.

I planned this project out using Google docs a few years back. This is part of the overall home remodeling project I have been doing for the last I'd say 5 years a piece at a time.

I still have to finish pulling all the cat-6 cable, and I will bundle it and cover it using split loom up to the ceiling penetration. Once the Cat-6 is done, I am pulling cat-5e (I have most of a box left) for phone. I am not reusing the original, and crumbling 1984 station wire. The 2nd line for the fax wil only be wired to the office. My wife is currently painting our coupter armoire, like today, so I can move it into the office. I have a mess of music gear in that closet, I need to move into the room tonight, and set up.against the wall for now. Then I rip out the carpet, pull the tack strips, fill the holes and install the flooring. I am using Aquaguard water proof vinly wood look flooring. We have pets..

Below this is my home made server rack. The UPS sits on a shelf on there, and then the servers, and storage array below that...

Once the cat-5e and cat 6 are done, I need to finish the coaxial for the antenna. I am a cord cutter, and use over the air TV and streaming instead....
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

Working...