• Show
Clear All
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

Best Double Sided Tape

I am going to start making some items for sale that will be produced from patterns. Trace the pattern, bandsaw close to the line, tape them together and route to final size.

What does everyone use to tape a pattern to a piece for routing? I have tried a couple of different double sided carpenter tapes. These are the types with the crossed thread reinforcement. One was not strong enough to hold and was too thick. The other was thinner and sticky enough to hold the pieces together but still allowed the pattern to slip. It was also pure **** to get off.
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato
  • d_meister
    Established Member
    • Feb 2009
    • La Conner, WA.
    • BT3000

I've used the pattern copy method hundreds of times, usually for negative cut-outs for electronics installations on yachts. The easiest. most fool proof is blue tape and hot glue. I apply 2" 3M Blue tape to both surfaces, then squirt hot glue on one side and put the pieces together. They will not shift when routing. When done, just pry the pieces apart. sometimes the tape let's go of one of the surfaces, and other times the hot glue let's go from the tape on one side. Then, simply peel the tape off. It leaves no residue, it's incredibly strong, it doesn't damage the product or the template. Just be sure the glue gun is running hot and you press the pieces together to prevent spaces between the pieces and having your bearing run off the edge.
    I always use either Baltic Birch or BORG Birch plywood for the templates, because the edge must have a good surface for the bearing. I've done a lot of them with a 1/4" palm router and top-bearing bits, but the best is a good router table with a 1/2" arbor bearing-bit in the 3'4" cutter diameter size range. The method makes it fun instead of work. I hate scraping and cleaning tape residue with solvents. On that note; if you go a little wild with the hot glue, it scrapes of pretty cleanly from ply, but will affect paint or stain, but hot glue can be cleaned up with acetone.

Comment

• jussi
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007

I’ve been using painters tape and ca glue trick recently. So far so good. I also like turners tape
      I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by d_meister
        I've used the pattern copy method hundreds of times, usually for negative cut-outs for electronics installations on yachts. The easiest. most fool proof is blue tape and hot glue. I apply 2" 3M Blue tape to both surfaces, then squirt hot glue on one side and put the pieces together. They will not shift when routing. When done, just pry the pieces apart. sometimes the tape let's go of one of the surfaces, and other times the hot glue let's go from the tape on one side. Then, simply peel the tape off. It leaves no residue, it's incredibly strong, it doesn't damage the product or the template. Just be sure the glue gun is running hot and you press the pieces together to prevent spaces between the pieces and having your bearing run off the edge.
        I always use either Baltic Birch or BORG Birch plywood for the templates, because the edge must have a good surface for the bearing. I've done a lot of them with a 1/4" palm router and top-bearing bits, but the best is a good router table with a 1/2" arbor bearing-bit in the 3'4" cutter diameter size range. The method makes it fun instead of work. I hate scraping and cleaning tape residue with solvents. On that note; if you go a little wild with the hot glue, it scrapes of pretty cleanly from ply, but will affect paint or stain, but hot glue can be cleaned up with acetone.
        Sounds like a good way to go. I'll have to try it.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Pappy
          The Full Monte
          • Dec 2002
          • San Marcos, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 (x2)

jussi, is this the tape you are talking about?

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/d...6f6f0af1001ee6

I also found this on Amazon.

Last edited by Pappy; 10-28-2019, 01:35 PM.
          Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
          Fools because they have to say something.
          Plato

Comment

Working...