X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Carlos
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

Have you ever considered the fact that in order to make a bird house, you have to cut down a bird's house?

Comment

• durango dude
      • Mar 2011
      • a thousand or so feet above insanity
      • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

Late thought ------ five board bench.

Watch a Charles Neil video with them.....

I find him pretty accessible.

I work at a college ---- so I'm a booky person, too.

One of my better projects was a simple 90 degree book rack that sat on a desk.
      It was 4 simple pieces of wood with a couple dado joints and a miter cut.

Comment

• durango dude
        • Mar 2011
        • a thousand or so feet above insanity
        • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

One more idea from Norm:

On May 16th, 1989 David Letterman invited Norm Abram on his show to build a Picnic Table. David fools around with Norm’s tools and talks a little to much and...

Comment

• cwsmith
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2005
          • NY Southern Tier, USA.
          • BT3100-1

I'm a little late on joining this conversation, but I'll also cast an opinion for the step stool build. My wife is 4' 11", and that step stool sure comes in handy.

My first project with my grandson's was a bird house. I cut the wood ahead of time on one, and then went through the process of showing them how to plan and lay it out for the second. I did all the cutting with them standing well back (they were about eight years old at the time). After I cut the material for the second one, they went about sanding and then I showed them how to assemble. While that was fun, it sort of proved to be wasteful in that the project was long ago forgotten and I think they got lost (probably still in the tree, which never got their attention).

The second project was a couple of step stools. Simple design, and I think they could relate to it better. We built three of those, and I think it showed that a little planning and setup could produce any number we might have desired. They got to use those step stools themselves and with one being a gift to Grandma, it gave them an appreciation of making something and gifting it, with much love and gratitude in return. Those stools are still around and I'm sure they are a reminder of their own ability and provide fond remembrance of their first project.

I realize of course that your son-in-laws are not eight; but hey, boys are boys, no matter how old we get.

CWS
          Last edited by cwsmith; 04-05-2018, 10:40 AM.
          Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• Mr__Bill
            Veteran Member
            • May 2007
            • Tacoma, WA
            • BT3000

I like the step stool idea. I suggest one that looks like a chair and folds open to become a short ladder AKA Ben Franklin Ladder Chair.. Apartments have a shortage of storage, as a chair it can be left out and be useful and available when needed.

Bill
            on the left coast

Comment

Working...