What are you building for Christmas presents?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

What are you building for Christmas presents?

This is a re-write of a last years post that I can’t seem to get to show up on recent posts, so I’m starting it again.

What kind of shop made presents does anyone have going on?

A friend asked if I would make him a small 3 dimensional wood tree from a rough sketch he made on an envelope. I googled and searched Pinterest and found nothing that vaguely resembled what he wanted. There were several utube sites that made 3 dimension reigndeer and Christmas ornaments, I figured there can’t be much difference in a reigndeer, ornament and a tree, so I started by put a narrow blade on the Band saw and started cutting wood. Much scrap later here is one that came out looking somewhat like the tree in his sketch.
    Build time is 10 minutes sketching tree on the wood, 10 minutes Band saw time and 45 minutes sanding and finish. Material is 3”x3” x 12” whatever wood that is laying around. Finish is medium watco.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CE16CE5D-6258-4B16-95F3-3767B9C08046.jpeg
Views:	80
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	832274

• J.H.Smith
    SawdustZone Patron
    • Nov 2017
    • Central Florida
    • vintage Sears 10" PROseries

nice work Carl - - - he probably got the idea from the movie "How The Grinch Stole Christmas".

Comment

• Slik Geek
      • Dec 2006
      • Lake County, Illinois
      • Ryobi BT-3000

I've never seen anything like that before. It looks good.

I haven't made any gifts, but I cut out two pair of plywood reindeer from a published pattern. The ones I made many years ago had deteriorated and were thrown out.

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

I was told that they have seen trees like this for sale somewhere but can’t remember where, and they were very similar to mine. I wish I knew where, I hate to think I’m stealing someone’s idea.

Comment

• capncarl
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Leesburg Georgia USA
          • SawStop CTS

My two sons wanted a cooler box for their patios, so I used 54 quart igloo ice chests from my earlier house boat days. Neither wanted the traditional counter height cooler boxes that everybody makes, instead they requested coffee table height. Additional insulation wasn’t a problem as they will only be used for short get together, and because of that I didn’t don’t use the cooler lid, just two layers of 3/4” pine. No wheels because someone will probably use it for a seat, and the kids would be using it for cooler races if it had wheels. Paint is exterior latex, hopefully to match some of their existing outside furniture, or provide us with ideas for future gifts.
          capncarl
          Attached Files

Comment

• Two Much
            Established Member
            • Mar 2003
            • Long Island, NY
            • (two) Ryobe BT-3's

That is very cool. Functional as well as Practical!

Comment

• th3woodsman
              Handtools only
              • Dec 2017

Hey everyone! New to the forum and to woodworking in General. This year for Christmas I’m making small roughly 8x11 cutting boards. I did make a bigger one for a secret Santa gift. Feel free to critique! I could use constructive criticism.specially considering I have about 6 more to make.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...