• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Radius gauges

I was needing to replicate a table I made in the past but didn't make good notes about the radiuses I routed onto the edges.
    It's very hard to tell what the radius is, exactly by eye or any tool I had.

So I made a set of radius gauges.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Radius gauge_sm.jpg Views:	1 Size:	131.3 KB ID:	831445

I caused me all kinds of near mistakes as the indicated size of the radius is of course made by a bit diameter twice the radius.

Anyway it solve the problem of tying to guesstimate the radius of the small radii. It works, but its a bit close. Still there's a definite gap if you use the wrong sized gauge, the right sized gauge fits the existing curve perfectly with no gaps.

IT has to be a quarter round section as a half round section would not fit a routed corner. A half round section would be good for checking dowels or bull nose rounds.

You can buy radius gauges but they are $25 and up a set.
    Ended up I had used 1/4" & 5/16" and also 3/4" corner radius but I had drawing templates for the large radii I used to check that.

Ah, I can see by the pic I mismarked one... the one marked 1" should be 1/2"
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 09-10-2017, 11:44 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
Working...