X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sailor55330
    Established Member
    • Jan 2010

When is enough enough?

So I'm working on a jewelry armior for a gift and I'm down to the finish (and I now understand how little I know about surface prep--LOL). I'm using a water based poly in satin by General Finishes. So far I have 4 coats. My question is how many coats do you usually put on. For what it's worth, here's a couple pictures. The pictures aren't that great due to a florescent light on one and kind of dark on the other one Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0642.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	829874Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0640.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	829875 , but you can get an idea. This was my first real attempt at a glue-up top and "raised panel" edges. This started as 1x6 maple. It actually looks better in person.

• atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

What does General Finishes suggest for the application method you chose?

I like GF products. I usually spray it because it sprays very nicely. For a kitchen countertop, I applied 3 coats of their high performance poly. The area around the sink was the area of most concern to me. It has held up very well with over a year of use and I don't see any signs of degradation from water.

I think you're good with 4 coats for a jewelry armoire that will see much less abuse than a kitchen counter.

Comment

• sailor55330
      Established Member
      • Jan 2010

I think it recommends 2 coats, but I found that it wasn't leveling out very well after 2. I really thought about spraying, but I don't have a spray booth and based on some other threads on here, I'm not sure if my compressor would have done it. It's a 40 year old, 20gal craftsman that puts out 8.8cfm at 40psi and 7.4 cfm @ 90psi...Given it's age, I'd say those numbers are a little exagerated. Couple that with the fact my gun is a $25 Menards special and you have a bad recipe. Although I did manage to spray some patio furniture with exterior latex last summer.

I really want to try spraying someday, but I don't think I have the compressor.

Comment

• atgcpaul
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Maryland
        • Grizzly 1023SLX

I have brushed GF, too--both with foam brushes and with synthetic bristles. I think both leveled out for me fine. Is it warm enough for you to apply? I think GF recommends a minimum of 65deg for the WB products.

Comment

• sailor55330
          Established Member
          • Jan 2010

Thanks ATG-

I'm applying at about 68--70...so while close, it falls in the parameters. Not much I can do about the temp as it's a basement in MN. I've noticed that the heavier I put it on, the better it levels. I'm still new at this and most of my finishing experience is with marine spar varnish on boats in the south. The cleanup is nice, but I'm not sure I like working with water based finishes......go figure.

Comment

Working...