Using pressure treated wood... how bad is it?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BadeMillsap
    • Dec 2005
    • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
    • Grizzly G1023SL

Using pressure treated wood... how bad is it?

I had a hard time picking the right forum...

In light of a recent discussion on this board I started wondering if I had been living under a rock for the last several years... is using TODAY'S VERSION of pressure treated wood safe for things like outdoor furniture?

My research lead me to the linked article below... after reading it I feel comfortable with it as I have used it but each to his own...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BadeMillsap; 08-29-2016, 12:07 PM.
    "Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
    Bade Millsap
    Bulverde, Texas
    => Bade's Personal Web Log
    => Bade's Lutherie Web Log
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

page doesn't open.

I like PT wood. Termites don't, and PT doesn't rot in the same decade as un-pressure treated. I buy PT, let it dry out for 6 months or longer and then use it.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Other common chemicals used are Alkaline Copper Quaternary (ACQ), Copper Azole (CA), Sodium Borate (SBX), and Micronized Copper Quaternary (MCQ). These newer types of treated woods may be less toxic, but they also contain higher levels of copper, so they're much more corrosive than the old CCA-treatedlumber.

The old CCA contain arsenic which was fairly toxic.
      The new stuff I hear is the ACQ mostly but the others apparently are used which have copper - relatively non toxic but heck on fasteners.
      Check on acceptable fasteners before you build long lasting furniture.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• onedash
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2005
        • Maryland
        • Craftsman 22124

I don't use PT wood for raised garden beds. I know it won't last nearly as long but don't want to risk anything leaching into the soil and into the veggies.
        YOU DONT HAVE TO TRAIN TO BE MISERABLE. YOU HAVE TO TRAIN TO ENDURE MISERY.

Comment

• BadeMillsap
          • Dec 2005
          • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
          • Grizzly G1023SL

Sorry for the bad link ... now corrected in the original post ... the new Tapatalk was the culprit .. at least that's my story and I'm sticking to it
          Last edited by BadeMillsap; 08-29-2016, 12:42 PM. Reason: spelling typo
          "Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
          Bade Millsap
          Bulverde, Texas
          => Bade's Personal Web Log
          => Bade's Lutherie Web Log

Comment

• jabe
            • Apr 2006
            • Hilo, Hawaii
            • Ryobi BT3000 & Delta Milwaukee 10" tilting Table circular saw

I use PT lumber a lot in Hawaii, lots of termites, use a dust mask, and helps to have a good dust collection system on your power tools if working indoors. Whenever I did a cabinet job I tell the customers to have their homes fumigated/treated for termites after I finished the job as I could not guarantee the plywoods or other wood products I used are termite free as Cabinet grade plywds are not treated. I have my personal home fumigated every 3 to 5 yrs., termites are a big problem in Hawaii and I used all PT lumber when I built my home.

Comment

Working...