Help creating a simple (and cheap) Lathe for Pool Cue Shaft maintenance...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Raffi
    Established Member
    • Sep 2003
    • CA, USA.

Help creating a simple (and cheap) Lathe for Pool Cue Shaft maintenance...

Howdy folks. I have an idea bouncing around in my head (dangerous), and I don't have the knowledge to implement it. So I'd appreciate any input.

I play pool quite a bit, a pool table has taken over my shop, in fact I have to roll my BT3 out of the way each time I go to shoot. There are a couple maintenance tasks that are necessary and basic, but I am finding them hard to properly do by hand. It is important for a pool cue shaft to remain very smooth to play the game at a higher level. Also tips need to be replaced from time to time.

Both these tasks are made much simpler by the use of a cue lathe. These lathes run $500-$700 for a maintenance lathe (what I'm trying to cheap), to thousands for a lathe to build a full cue.

I want a simple lathe to simply spin the shaft to facilitate cleaning and sealing as well as making tip replacement far easier. There are cue repairmen that can be found, however it can run $25 for a tip, and double that for a cleaning and tip and higher. Plus the time it takes to finish the cue during which I am unable to play.

WHEW! Sorry for the lead in. Here are a few examples of motors and 'stabilizers' (the bering thing) of what I would like to do. I need ideas on how to attach the drill chuck to the pulley, or like the one with the direct motor. Also what type of bering is that that these guys are using? Thanks for any input.

Click image for larger version

Name:	bering 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	801073Click image for larger version

Name:	bering.jpg
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	801074Click image for larger version

Name:	lathe 1.jpg
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	801075Click image for larger version

Name:	lathe 2.jpg
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	801076
  • JR
    The Full Monte
    • Feb 2004
    • Eugene, OR
    • BT3000

Cool project! And I forgive you in advance for splitting your affection for the BT with a pool table. A man's gotta do what man's gotta do!

The bearing is called a "pillow bearing". And I think you're looking for a "shaft collar".

if you have a hardware store with a good selection of fittings and fasteners you might find everything you need.
    JR

Comment

• JoeyGee
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2005
      • Sylvania, OH, USA.
      • BT3100-1

I hope you are familiar with Matthias Wandel?

Building a wood lathe from scratch, using wooden bearings and wooden pulleys.http://woodgears.ca/lathe/build.htmlplans for the lathe available here:http://wo...

He has had an update video or two since this one.

HF has a couple midi lathes ranging from about $110 to $160 or so with coupon. I know the more expensive midi lathe can take a bed extension.
      Joe

Comment

• Daryl
        • May 2004

Couldn't you chuck the tip end in a drill and make a v type rest, lined with cutting board plastic, and spin it up? Then replace the tip after you get the shaft polished.
        Sometimes the old man passed out and left the am radio on so I got to hear the oldie songs and current event kind of things

Comment

• Raffi
          Established Member
          • Sep 2003
          • CA, USA.

Thanks for the responses gents.

Originally posted by JR
          Cool project! And I forgive you in advance for splitting your affection for the BT with a pool table. A man's gotta do what man's gotta do!

The bearing is called a "pillow bearing". And I think you're looking for a "shaft collar".

if you have a hardware store with a good selection of fittings and fasteners you might find everything you need.
          Right. Bearing. I get confused with my heading (see what I did there?).

Thanks, "pillow bearing" helped me find what they were using. Generally pretty cheap too.

Originally posted by JoeyGee
          I hope you are familiar with Matthias Wandel?…snip snip snip
          Man that guy is amazing. It still leaves me with the issue of how to secure the cue shaft.

Originally posted by Daryl
          Couldn't you chuck the tip end in a drill and make a v type rest, lined with cutting board plastic, and spin it up? Then replace the tip after you get the shaft polished.
          Yeah that is one way of doing it. They sell "Lathe repair pins" for cue shafts to fit the joint. The butt and shaft connect via varying threading systems based on manufacturer. So in my pictures, the end that is attached to the motor is attached with one of these pins. Some just clamp a drill to a work surface, chuck up a lathe pin, and hold the shaft with a towel to kind of do what I want.

I worry about stability doing it this way, and it does not help me with tip changes as I need both hands free.

Your idea would work too, though again I would be concerned about stability and once again it doesn't solve the tip change issue.

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2007
            • Buena Park, CA
            • CM 21829

Looks like you've gotten the right parts identified. For the drive end, you could cannibalize the small HF lathe (can be had for ~$100 with coupon), and get a MT-1 drill chuck to hold your pin. The small lathe is variable speed, which I think you want for this, so you can easily adjust your speed - this likely wants slow speed for all operations except buffing.
            Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• Raffi
              Established Member
              • Sep 2003
              • CA, USA.

In my last picture there, with the small motor, belt and drill chuck, can anyone tell me how that is put together?

I assume its another pillow bearing with a shaft of some sort and a pulley, with the chuck attached to the shaft.

This is the first challenge I have to overcome…

How is that assembled:

What size shaft? What size pillow bearing bore? How does the shaft attach to the pillow bearing? How does the chuck attach to the shaft?

Comment

• capncarl
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2007
                • Leesburg Georgia USA
                • SawStop CTS

It looks like the cue holder for the tip end is a tapered bushing made with the que's angle (taper) inside and outside diameter to match the pillow block bearing. To get that part you will probably have to obtain your donor lathe first and custom make it to fit the pillow block you buy. If you just stick the cue through the bearing and tighten it up you will have a ring pressed in the cue.

Comment

• Raffi
                  Established Member
                  • Sep 2003
                  • CA, USA.

There is a plastic "shaft collet" that you see on the table in the last photo. They are designed to fit different shaft diameters, and prevent damage from a lathe. My shaft is 12.75mm, and does not taper for the first 12-15 inches.

I would assume that a 1/2" pillow bearing would be the right choice, but the shaft and collet diameter might require a larger bore on the bearing. Another mystery.

Comment

• Raffi
                    Established Member
                    • Sep 2003
                    • CA, USA.

Ok, I'll try a specific question. How do you attach a drill chuck to a shaft? I've seen different size chucks for sale, just don't have an idea how they affix to the motor or drive shaft?

Some kind of set screw? That seems unlikely but all I can think of.

Comment

• JoeyGee
                      Veteran Member
                      • Nov 2005
                      • Sylvania, OH, USA.
                      • BT3100-1

I don't have any specific answers to your questions, but Jay Bates from YouTube and Jayscustomcreations.com has mentioned on a few occasions that he got into woodworking by doing exactly what you're trying to do (pool equipment maintenance, not the lathe). He doesn't have any videos or info on his site about it as far as I know, but you might drop him a line to see if he has any advice.
                      Joe

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 2007
                        • Buena Park, CA
                        • CM 21829

Originally posted by Raffi
                        Ok, I'll try a specific question. How do you attach a drill chuck to a shaft? I've seen different size chucks for sale, just don't have an idea how they affix to the motor or drive shaft?

Some kind of set screw? That seems unlikely but all I can think of.
                        Raffi, most drill chucks attach using a screw through the bottom/back of the chuck, access when the chuck jaws are fully opened. To attach to a shaft, you would need to drill a perfectly centered hole in the shaft (which would possibly be done on a metal lathe, or have a machine shop do it), and tap for the appropriate screw.
                        Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• Raffi
                          Established Member
                          • Sep 2003
                          • CA, USA.

Thanks Joey, I sent him a message. Doesn't hurt to try!

Comment

• Raffi
                            Established Member
                            • Sep 2003
                            • CA, USA.

Thanks Bill. Hmmm another complication lol.

Comment

• JoeyGee
                              Veteran Member
                              • Nov 2005
                              • Sylvania, OH, USA.
                              • BT3100-1

I was just going through my Pinterest boards and came across this that I had pinned a long time ago:

Not sure if it all relates to what you're looking for, but noticed it's a homemade lathe that uses pillow blocks.
                              Joe

Comment

Working...