• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

working on threaded rod.

IN a thread I posted else where about a new drill press stop, I mentioned I had to drill the end of a 1/2" steel threaded rod and tap it and cut it off.
    At first I had a **** of a time clamping it to drill, then to tap and then to cut.

It has a tendency to roll. since the threads are fragile you can't clamp too tight or damage the threads, Second the threads have a small bearing surface they cut into and damage the vise and they want to spin and work against drilling, tapping, etc.

I eventually took a 2x2 x 4-5" long, drilled a 1/2" hole down the center with a spade bit, and then sliced it through the hole the long way on the band saw.
    This removed enough material so that the wood mashed against the threads before the halves met, holding the piece over a large area and length while cushioning the threads.
    Once you sandwiched the rod like a hot dog in a bun (great description), clamp the assy in the vise as hard as you want without fear of damaging the vise or the rod.

It worked pretty well.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20151223_003sm.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	254.3 KB
ID:	801002
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 12-23-2015, 06:50 AM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • Stytooner
    Roll Tide RIP Lee
    • Dec 2002
    • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
    • BT3100

That is one way to do it.
    Especially if you do not have nuts on hand. I usually spin a few nuts on there and then lock two together. That holds it securely in the vise.
    Lee

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

I thought about that but I didn't have any nuts of that thread.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cwsmith
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2005
        • NY Southern Tier, USA.
        • BT3100-1

I was going to suggest using four nuts, locked together in pairs at a space allowing for clamping. (I see Stytooner beat me to it though. )

Would it have been worthwhile to buy the nuts ahead of time... probably reducing both time and any frustration?

Merry Christmas to all,

CWS
        Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

Working...