• Show
Clear All
  • schloff
    Established Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Southern Middle TN
    • Powermatic 64 (BT3000 RIP)

concealed storage

Hi. I was thinking about building a functional piece. Something that appears to be one thing, but primary function is to conceal items that I'd like to keep out of plain sight. Things that might be either needed at moment's notice, or other things like cash, jewelry, etc.

I was looking at some things online. Tables, headboards, fake walls, hollowed stairs, sliding top tables, you name it.

What caught my eye was a shelf, though. This had a simple magnetic lock feature, a supplied blank foam for cutting an exact silhouette, strut supports, and a very sleek look. Unfortunately, it also had a $270-$4-something price tag, depending on the length. No way, I'm not dropping that sort of cash on this. Not saying that they're not well built and probably worth every penny, but that's way out of my price range for something so simple.

The shelf had a "bottom" that hinged down, once unlocked by supplied magnetic "keys". Not sure about the angle, but it hinged about 45 degrees down where you could access the contents. It appears that the bottom would have to have a special hinge that would let it hinge away from the wall, would allow for a seamless joint when closed, and close to be completely concealed. I assume this would be some sort of European hinge? Does anybody have any ideas on what hinge I should look for? I am thinking about using an automotive line of struts for the support.

Has anybody had success building something like this, or something else that might fit the bill?

Thanks,
    Dan
  • JR
    The Full Monte
    • Feb 2004
    • Eugene, OR
    • BT3000

It's probably something like this one for face frame inset applications.
    JR

Comment

• capncarl
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Leesburg Georgia USA
      • SawStop CTS

Pinterest has a lot of concealed storage posts and pictures, some really good stuff.

Comment

• schloff
        Established Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Southern Middle TN

Thanks for the replies. I need to have the wife look at her pinterest account. Good call on that. JR- I'll have to sit down with a pencil and paper to plan out my design and figure out exactly how I need the hinges to mount. Thanks again. This should be a fun project.

Comment

• aiyou
          SawdustZone Patron
          • Mar 2006
          • Charlotte, NC
          • BT3100

Not sure if you're still interested in plans, but I stumbled across these a few weeks ago.

DIY Secret Floating Shelf

Comment

• schloff
            Established Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Southern Middle TN

See? That is EXACTLY what I was picturing. Except for some pretty quarter sawn white oak.

Thanks.

Comment

• poolhound
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2006
              • Phoenix, AZ
              • BT3100

Very cool idea. a couple of good earth magnets would keep a hidden door closed and concealed from anybody who didnt know it was there.
              Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
              techzibits.com

Comment

• d_meister
                Established Member
                • Feb 2009
                • La Conner, WA.
                • BT3000

There was a concealed compartment built into a yacht I worked on that had this type of lock on it:
                Shop Woodworking Hand & Power Tools Collection on Lee Valley. Browse our selection of Reliable Tools for any Woodworking project.

It's not clear from the picture, but the way it works is you hold the mushroom shaped magnet against the area where the latch is mounted inside, and the catch is released. There is nothing visible on the exterior.

Comment

• capncarl
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2007
                  • Leesburg Georgia USA
                  • SawStop CTS

Check out Amish Gun Cabinets! Ain't that a hoot, like saying good lawyers, anyway they are building a hidden gun cabinet in the back of a book case. Wonder whose guns they used to fit the prototype?

Comment

• KenBurris
                    Established Member
                    • Jan 2003
                    • Cincinnati, OH, USA.

Originally posted by capncarl
                    Wonder whose guns they used to fit the prototype?

Their own ! http://amishamerica.com/do-amish-use-guns/
                    Ken in Cincinnati

Pretend this line says something extremely witty

Comment

• capncarl
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2007
                      • Leesburg Georgia USA
                      • SawStop CTS

Ken, thanks, now I know! Next time I see one of our local Amish in town I'll look
                      under the seat of their pickup truck and see what they are packing!
                      capncarl

Comment

• schloff
                        Established Member
                        • Jan 2007
                        • Southern Middle TN

I live near a decent sized Amish community in a very rural community. Most estate auctions around here that feature tools and/or guns, Amish are normally there with cash.

Comment

Working...