• Show
Clear All
  • steve-norrell
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • The Great Land - Alaska
    • BT3100-1

Lacquor Finish for dry 'foods'.

I am making some pill boxes and would like to find out if well cured (several weeks minimum) lacquor (Deft Spray-On) is a safe finish when the contents always remain dry.

Thanks for the help and its good to be back.

Steve
  • cork58
    Established Member
    • Jan 2006
    • Wasilla, AK, USA.
    • BT3000

I've used Deft in the past and it smelled for a long time and was a bear to dry. I did put on heavy coats so maybe that was my problem.

Dan
    Cork,

Dare to dream and dare to fail.

Comment

• capncarl
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Leesburg Georgia USA
      • SawStop CTS

Will shellac work? After years ur figure it out it is simple to use and dries really quick.

Comment

• steve-norrell
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2006
        • BT3100-1

Originally posted by capncarl
        Will shellac work? After years ur figure it out it is simple to use and dries really quick.
        Thanks for the suggestion.

For some reason shellac hates me and I can never seem to get a good even application. (I know, I need practice!) On the other hand, I usually have very good luck with spray-on lacquor; I don't use the brush-on because of the lingering odor. I usually have a hard time detecting the odor after about a week.

Comment

• steve-norrell
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2006
          • BT3100-1

Cork,
          I tried the brush-on Deft once and had to put the piece outside. I use the spray-on version and have pretty good results with it. See next post about the odor.
          Thanks for the reply, Steve

Comment

• capncarl
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Leesburg Georgia USA
            • SawStop CTS

After making a mess with shellac several times I learned that it must be thinned a lot. I never use it thinned less than 50% and sometimes thin it around 75%. I apply it with a clean t shirt rag (12"x12"), fold it double, fold double again and roll it up tight and wrap a rubber band around one end. Brushes make a real mess with it thinned this much. The mix is like water so I put it on in lines fast, not overlapping. At this mix it dries in less than a minute. Any streaks a or drips sand out easily with steel wool. It makes a great sealer and is waxed over beautifully. Don't put poly over shellac.
            capncarl

Comment

• phrog
              Veteran Member
              • Jul 2005
              • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Would Salad Bowl Finish work? Never used it but wonder if it would work for this project.
              Richard

Comment

Working...