• Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Home Office / Studio remodel.

As part of the full home remodeling project, I am moving the existing home office, and combining my home office, and music room / studio into one painfully small space. The smallest of my bedrooms, which is 10x10 feet with 8 foot ceilings.

The following has to fit in the space.

1 Full stack bass amplifier.
    1 1x12 guitar combo amp, Project needed, build tilt back amp stand.
    4 Electric Bass Guitars.
    1 Acoustic Bass guitar.
    2 6 string electric guitars.
    1 Acoustic guitar.
    1 Acoustic / Electric guitar.
    1 digital piano

1 48" LAN rack. Populated with gear to keep my IT continuing ed / training moving forward rapidly.
    1 vertical 4 drawer filing cabinet (wood, or particle board actually). Project needed. Anti Racking reinforcement as the cardboard back didn't work.
    1 L shaped desk, with hutch.
    1 7u network switch rack with KVM, Network Switches, Cable modem, router, NAS devices, VoIP adapters. Project needed. Mount board, cabling, and 110 punchdown panel, plus wiring to each phone outlet.
    1 12 input mixer.
    1 pair of studio reference monitors.
    2 desk chairs
    All In One photo printer machine.

So far, I have installed mounting cleats to hang my instruments along 2 of the 3 walls that will be housing them. The one uninterrupted wall will get the L desk / hutch, the filing cabinet, switch rack, and LAN rack.

In order to provide a quiet environment for recording, the server rack will have to be shut down during recording, but since they are for my training, and not actually working as servers, no problem there.

Tonight, God, and my wife willing, I am pulling the guest bed out of that room, stashing it as best I can in the current office, and starting on filling holes in the walls in that room. (Long story, lots of small nails holes...)

I am varying off of my original design by a hair, I am ending up with more instruments than I had orignially designed for. I will be using the long angled guitar hanger brackets like you see in guitar stores instead of the straight hangers I am now using. We don't have the digital piano yet, that is going to be a gift for my wife. So for now, I need to get the bed, LAN rack, and amps out of the room. I can then rip the flooring out, LOML wants to do faux wood tile through the house, this would be the perfect space to experiment with that in. Once flooring is done, I will finish by painting the walls. Still need to pick a color, need something brighter than the leather / earthy tones used through the rest of the house. Will likely swap out the ceiling fan here, for one that matches the newer fixtures in the rest of the house.

On the subject of the hangers. I need to come up with a good, strong, yet attractive design for the hangers. Or suggestions for commercially available units that aren't hideously expensive. Looking for suggestions...

I am hoping once I get everything moved in here, I can purge the junk out of the old office (VERY obsolete computers, old documents no longer useful, college books etc...) and get the old office converted into a guest room...

Basically, I am looking to make the best use of the space I have available. We will see what happens...
    Last edited by dbhost; 08-24-2015, 01:25 PM.
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • BadeMillsap
    • Dec 2005
    • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
    • Grizzly G1023SL

I use these... https://reverb.com/item/682748-bundl...9UAaAkw48P8HAQ

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    "Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
    Bade Millsap
    Bulverde, Texas
    => Bade's Personal Web Log
    => Bade's Lutherie Web Log

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

Those look like the String Swing hangers I already have. Admittedly a MUCH lower cost than the String Swings... (Wish I had found those first...

I need to maximize my storage space. I might add a second cleat to stagger hang heights above the desk, but on the 3 walls shown, too many stinking doors. I will probably just keep the 4 string Jazz, 4 string Precision, A strat, a Les Paul, and an acoustic / electric guitar, and acoustic bass hung. Everything else can live in its case in the closet until needed.

Of course, I could increase my capacity by switching to a few of these hangers from Amazon...
      http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...0AAT2Q7MD0054K
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

I am going to try out the Blog part of the site and kick this over there. I have several projects to do for this, starting this weekend hopefully.

Comment

Working...