Shop time last night. Sadly not wood related...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Shop time last night. Sadly not wood related...

Just for anyone's information and interest... Replacing catalytic converters on a 2004 F150 5.4L is a pain in the tail.

At least it doesn't act like it's being strangled any more.

And yes I went with EPA approved replacements, although I didn't go OEM. They cost about double what Magnaflow stainless steel high flow cats cost, so I upgraded and saved a ton of money... Or considering the payload rating of this truck, a half ton of money...

I did manage to actually use a wood related tool on the project, my Ryobi reciprocating saw. I had to replace both sides and the crossover pipe, which is technically part of the the catalytic converter assembly, was rusted together with no hope of ever coming apart, so I had to saw the dumb thing in half just to get it out from under the truck.

The new cats are on, the truck actually runs good now, although I can tell I don't have the nuts on the drivers side manifold collector quite run in all the way as I have an exhaust leak now. Minor one, but enough to annoy the snot out of me and likely fail me on an emissions test. I need to crawl back up under there (ugh!) and snug those 2 nuts down with my impact... Not an easy task as the upper cat gets in the way...

I still have a CEL that is related, but I expected that. I am having a cam timing problem. Most likely have a professional shop tackle this for me as I don't have the time to futz with this too much...

My lumberwagon is getting old, and needing repairs. Not happy about that, but to cure my annoyance at that I go and look at price tags on a new F150 XLT 4x4 Super Cab and smile about the comparative pittance I pay for parts and repairs...

I remember when $2,500.00 would buy a guy a VERY nice used sports car. (I had a Toyota Celica GT Liftback in college that I paid $2,500.00 for with 35K miles on the odometer). Long gone are those days. Seems like that is what a reasonably minor ish engine repair is going for these days...

I really ought to get a horse.
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • woodturner
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2008
    • Western Pennsylvania
    • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by dbhost
    And yes I went with EPA approved replacements, although I didn't go OEM. They cost about double what Magnaflow stainless steel high flow cats cost, so I upgraded and saved a ton of money... Or considering the payload rating of this truck, a half ton of money...
    If you went with Walker, there is a rebate that might help offset some of the cost
    http://www.walkerexhaust.com/promotions
    --------------------------------------------------
    Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• LinuxRandal
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2005
      • Independence, MO, USA.
      • bt3100

Another tool to cut exhausts, at least according to a LEO relative, is one of those Fein style tools with a metal blade. They say it cuts quite a bit quieter and is what they use in parking lots, etc. to steal them.
      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by woodturner
        If you went with Walker, there is a rebate that might help offset some of the cost
        http://www.walkerexhaust.com/promotions
        Summit Racing had a crazy cheap deal on the Magnaflows. I must admit though, I never knew Walker did catalytic converters... Could have saved a hunk of cash more compared to the Magnaflows...
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

Well, they have already shot up in price... Good thing I got the deal when I did... I need to chase down an exhaust leak in the new cats, but they are in and the code for them is gone...

Still chasing the stupid P0012 variable cam timing code... Shop says I need a new engine, but my research, experience, and gut tell me they are trying to stick me with a huge bill. I have a pretty good understanding of how the system works, and I suspect the problem is crud in the variable cam timing solenoid keeping it open on the retard phase too long... Doing research of safe motor flushes to see if I can clear the crud out of it...

Have also stabbed new tie rod ends, both inner, and outer on it, but still have some odd suspension noises, However I checked, ball joints are new, tie rods are new, struts are new-ish and good, sway bar links are new, only things not new are sway bar to frame bushings, lower control arm bushings, wheel bearings, and the 4wd system IWEs which are the vacuum actuated hub locking assemblies...

Assuming I am not stuck in the frog strangler rain when I get home, I am going to get back on getting the Saturn going again. The AC compressor clutch died, I needed a pulley puller, which I used to have, but apparently grew feet and walked out of my shop. A trip to Harbor Freight got me a new puller set... I need to get the last 2 bolts back into the power steering pump, and then start ripping out the water pump, idler, and tensioner pulleys then I can start reassembling this stuff... A seat recliner repair, and replace a wheel stud Discount Tire broke for me, finally charge the battery, renew the insurance, registration, and inspection, and of course a fresh oil and tranny fluid change and I can park the truck for a while as I get my wits about me on that, and get it back into order...
          Last edited by dbhost; 05-11-2015, 04:28 PM.

Comment

• TB Roye
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2004
            • Sacramento, CA, USA.
            • BT3100

On my wife Mini Cooper I was going check it out and find thinks. When it said to raise car put it on jack stands remove right front tire/wheel and remove inner fender liner to access front of engine that when I said sure glad you have he extended factory warranty and service plan I don't have to touch it until 100K and I will be to old to care. I open the hood/bonnet and can find the dip stick, barf bottle and oil cap. You don't check the auto trans fluid battery is in a cowl compartment on one side the Master cylinder on the other side spark plugs are the someplace and there are sensors and computer all over the car I do have a wireless ODBII module that I plug in a read the trouble codes and change codes for various features on the car with my iPad or iPhone through my BMWhat app. Have thinks chaned.

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

LOL...

Tonight was a BUSY night. Got the power steering pump bolted in, got the original AC compressor clutch pressed off, and found that the factory service manual, the Haynes manual, and about 4 different training videos on teh subject were all WRONG. My model is retained via 3 screws, which I found out after I pressed it off, and pulled the backing plate of the orignal clutch out over the screw heads. Thank God I didn't break the compressor or the screws...

Light got flaky on me and it started to rain, so I packed it in for tonight. Depends on the weather tomorrow, but hopefully I should be ready to, and perhaps even have the serpentine belt on it tomorrow night...

Comment

Working...