X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • woodynoob
    Forum Newbie
    • Apr 2013

Originally posted by woodturner
    My guess is that the OP calculated board feet based on the actual dimension of a finished board, which is not the normal way to calculate board feet, and the supplier calculated the board feet per industry rules.
    I should clarify.
    I selected a maple S3S board that I measured out to be 10 feet in length and the width was mostly 7", although for several feet, it was more like 6.5". I measured the thickness out to slightly more than 1 3/4". The label below the wood stack said 8/4 Maple.

So, I know that 8/4 would be charged at 2" thickness to account for loss during milling. So,
    BF=Length * Width * Thickness / 144(convert from inch->ft.)
    BF=120" * 7" * 2" / 144 =
    11.66 board ft.
    If I take this board ft. result and adjust it upwards by 12%, I get 13.06.
    They charged me for 13 board feet.

I think the general consensus I'm seeing is that what they did is not normal practice, probably unethical and possibly even illegal. I've checked with two of my woodworking buddies and they never heard of this charge at this lumberyard. I'll try one person more and then decide what to do. It does bug me, but more on the principle than on the small amount of money involved. I'm buying wood--not a used car!

Comment

• woodynoob
      Forum Newbie
      • Apr 2013

Originally posted by sailor55330
      So, did the retailer do anything wrong, no, not really. Passing on a upcharge or wastage fee amount is pretty normal, but in this case, poorly communicated. I would say that if the owners of the store knew employees were presenting things this way, they probably wouldn't be very happy.
      I get what you are saying about the costs between wholesalers and retailers. I have a few wholesale accounts and do sell some retail in my practice and I would never burden my customers with these details. It's all part of COGS for the product, which is marked up appropriately before being presented.

But, I think the true wrongness is being quoted on the phone AND in person a cost per board foot. Then, spending 1/2 an hour in the stack selecting the right piece and then finding out that they tack on this large charge. To make matters worse, this charge isn't on any sign that is visible in the store. And, they don't even itemize the charge on the receipt. They just put in the higher board foot amount. It felt like bait & switch, because by the time I found out about the true cost of the lumber, I had already committed a lot of time. (Plus, I was enamored with this particular piece!) The money lost wasn't worth the time it would take to dig through another stack somewhere else.

Anyone ever try to order a steeply discounted camera online from any one of many companies in NY or NJ? After ordering and paying, you will get a phone call trying to get you to purchase an "accessories" kit. If you choose not to purchase the accessories, then strangely enough your camera is found to be out-of-stock and the transaction is canceled. Now that I think of it, the time it happened to me, the accessories kit cost was about 12% of the camera...

Comment

• Stytooner
        Roll Tide RIP Lee
        • Dec 2002
        • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
        • BT3100

It was done wrong. If they are selling it by the board foot and have that rate applied, then what you are receiving should in fact be the exact board feet you pay for. It is at least unethical.. They need a few board feet repetitiously applied to the back side out behind the woodshed. That may not result in a better price, but I would feel better about it.
        Lee

Comment

• woodturner
          Veteran Member
          • Jun 2008
          • Western Pennsylvania
          • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by woodynoob
          I think the general consensus I'm seeing is that what they did is not normal practice, probably unethical and possibly even illegal. I've checked with two of my woodworking buddies and they never heard of this charge at this lumberyard.
          Thanks for the clarification - you are calculating board feet in the regular way. People fuss about how to handle varying width, but you used the larger dimension, which is one method and will give you a higher board foot number. I see no way the supplier would calculate a higher number for board feet, and think they are doing something very strange.
          --------------------------------------------------
          Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• woodturner
            Veteran Member
            • Jun 2008
            • Western Pennsylvania
            • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by woodynoob
            I And, they don't even itemize the charge on the receipt. They just put in the higher board foot amount. It felt like bait & switch, because by the time I found out about the true cost of the lumber, I had already committed a lot of time.
            In many states, practices such as you describe would be prohibited. A board foot is a defined measure, and if they charged you for more board feet than you got (with the exceptions we have discussed - shrinkage due to milling loss, etc.) they are probably in violation of your state's trade regulations. You might consider calling your state weights and measures agency to ask about this practice. They might talk to the vendor and encourage them to at least inform prospective buyers of the practice, so others don't experience the same surprise and frustration you did.
            --------------------------------------------------
            Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• sailor55330
              Established Member
              • Jan 2010

Out of curiosity, how much was the final difference in price (we know it was 12%, but was does that equate to in $$)

Comment

• jussi
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2007

Never had that happen. Unless it's the only lumberyard near you, I'd go somewhere else.
                I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• woodynoob
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Apr 2013

Originally posted by sailor55330
                  Out of curiosity, how much was the final difference in price (we know it was 12%, but was does that equate to in $$)
                  About $8. Not a lot of money. It's really turned me off on the place and won't get my recommendation to friends. I might just suck it up and go talk to the store manager and see what's what. More out of curiosity than anything else. There are lots of lumber places around here, but when you're looking for that one special piece, it's important to keep the options open. At least in my woodynoob opinion.

Comment

Working...