• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sailor55330
    Established Member
    • Jan 2010

Trouble with finish==General Finished 450 exterior

Hi all-

I'm hoping for some advice. I'm making some windchimes and and in the process of finishing. The wood is spalted maple, that was stained a cinnamon red color and has turned out very nice to this point. I'm down the final finishing and am stumped.

So I sanded the wood 120-150-220 and the surface was great. Did the stain, no issues. Now for finishing, I am using General Finishes 450 exterior, which I got at Rockler based on their recommendation. According to store personnel, it is/was their premium.

It is a water based finish, which I haven't really worked with. My problem is I can't seem to get the finish to "flow" out. When it dries, it leaves brush marks/ridges. I have tried natural bristle brushes and foam brushes, light coats, heavy coats, heavy strokes, light strokes. Nothing seems to help. I was finishing in my basement and though maybe the temp at 66-67 was too cold for it flow, so I tried letting it dry in the main area of the house---no better result. On top of that, I let it dry for 24 hours (even though it claims 2-4) and then lightly "scuff" with 320 between the coats and it knocks nearly all the finish off. So far, I'm very dissapointed, especially given the Rockler recommendation. I have finished many projects with poly and traditional varnish with no issues at all and they have come out fantastic, so on this one I am stumped. I tried to read up on thinning, but not much out there.

My fault for not going with my gut on this one.

3M flexible sand paper review to follow...

Any thoughts are appreciated.
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

If it's had been oil base I would suggest thinning and wipe on with a rag, since it is water base I'd try thinning with Flowtrol on wiping on several coats.

Comment

• sailor55330
      Established Member
      • Jan 2010

So for an update-

I dug around on the General finishes website and they do say that the water based product can be thinned 10-20% with water if necessary. They also specifically call out that the product should be put on with a pad or foam brush, not a bristle brush. Lastly, they do call out that the ideal temp is 70 degrees with 70% humidity.

I added a few drops of water and went back to a foam brush and I also applied the product where I knew it was 70. My basement shop is usually about 67-68. What a huge difference. The product self leveled 100% better.

I also found an old 320 grit sanding pad from 3M instead of the 320 paper. I haven't been able to find a replacement, but it's been the best thing I've used for between the coats for the last 7-8 years.

I don't know how the finish will hold up, but I think given how such a small variation in environmental conditions affected the product application, I'll move away from General Finishes in the future.

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

I've had much better luck thinning water base finishes with Flotrol, it works many times better than water and it increases the open time of the finish so that it levels out better. It also does not have chlorine, lime and other goodies that our drinking water does. I usually use an old t shirt for the finishing pad. For rub on applications I get it as thin as water.
        capncarl

Comment

• wardprobst
          • Jan 2006
          • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
          • Craftsman 22811

Did you use an oil base stain? That could be a possible problem with adhesion.DP
          www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• sailor55330
            Established Member
            • Jan 2010

Thanks for all the advice.

No-water based stain, also from General Finishes.

Comment

Working...