• Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

How should I finish this?

I know this is super simple, but I have a mount board / strip running along the walls in my home office / music room, to mount guitar hangers, and other misc gear hangers. (Pegs for straps, cables etc... to be added soon). Before finishing, I will route a small roundover on the upper and lower edges of the mount boards just to give them a finished clean edge look.

The ceiling will be painted just plain old matte ceiling white, walls are getting Behr Pecan Sandie in an eggshell finish, and trim is going to be high gloss white.

Similar to this...

The furniture in the office is cheapo Realspace Magellan Desk / Hutch and filing cabinet in Espresso Finish.

I am thinking the gloss white shows the mounting screws too much. And I really don't want to mess with hiding them. I would like to mimic that "Espresso" finish / stain that is used on the Realspace furniture for the best "color matched" look, but haven't a clue where to find that color. My last option is to simply paint the mount board with the wall color paint. Not exactly inspired but hey, it would work for sure!
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

That one is on layaway for me right now... Not sure I want that color that prominent in the room though...

It's a cheapie, a Squier by Fender Affinity Series Jazz bass. I am probably the odd man here, but I REALLY like the neck on this particular Affinity, as it has a satin finish where the gloss on the Vintage Modified, and the Fender MIM and MIA models just feels, sticky to me...

Of my current instruments, my favorite is the Ibanez SR480, oiled Mahogany, great smooth sound, not so much on the punchy grown that Jazzes are known for though...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

As close as I can tell from photos, the "Espresso" finish that Realspace uses, is "close enough for Rock & Roll" compared to Minwax Ebony stain. Looked a few other brands, and the Minwax seems the closest... Might just end up going that way out of laziness...

I also realized as I was pondering it, I messed up the positioning, I need the mount board to be 1" up higher than it is to clear some Wiremold. I need to come across the top of the door frames and across the wall under the mount board with a signal cable from the DI on the amp, to the mixing board for recording. Good thing I have a 25 foot cable. Miracle it doesn't give me a hum...

Comment

• JimD
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2003
        • Lexington, SC.

If you want it to be prominent, you can stain it or paint it white. If you don't want to draw attention to it, you could paint it the wall color.

Comment

• wardprobst
          • Jan 2006
          • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
          • Craftsman 22811

Take a sample piece of the furniture to the paint store, have them match the color. Thin it down and use it as a glazing stain. Put a wash coat of shellac on first in case you don't like it you can wipe it off and do something different.
          DP
          www.wardprobst.com

Comment

Working...