• Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Is anyone here a luthier?

I am probably not going to tackle this myself, but I am curious how guitar / bass necks are made, how the profile is achieved, truss rod installation, fretting etc... is done.

Honestly at this point, I mostly need to learn how to do my own setups etc... But the other stuff background would be helpful as well.
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • BadeMillsap
    • Dec 2005
    • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
    • Grizzly G1023SL

Hi Dave ... I'll take a shot at giving you a very GENERAL answer.

There are LOTS of internet resources available from very basic how-to kit build to some fairly detailed tutorials.

A good place to start is with Stewart McDonald
    StewMac How To

StewMac is a very well established luthier supply company that covers the gambit from basics to advanced.

The Guild Of American Luthiers is a very helpful organization with all sorts of books, a quarterly report/mag and hundreds of helpful and sharing people. Well worth the price of membership if you are serious about pursuing lutherie as a hobby.

Finally I'll point you to Frets.com
    which has a plethora of jumping off points and really good advice on HOW-TO.

Hope that is helpful ... it doesn't specifically address any of your questions but gives you some really reliable resources to check.
    "Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
    Bade Millsap
    Bulverde, Texas
    => Bade's Personal Web Log
    => Bade's Lutherie Web Log

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

Yeah, I don't expect I am ever going to scratch build an instrument, especially with the likes of Fender's Squier line putting out such good instruments for so little money... BUT knowing how to maintain and fine tune is worth the effort I would think...
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• TB Roye
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Sacramento, CA, USA.
        • BT3100

Dave

Grizzly has Guitar kits for sale. The President of the company is a luthier. You might check out their web site. I toyed with idea of building one but decided I didn't need another hole to pour money down. Jump forward to this past Christmas and guess what we got #2 Granddaughter you guessed it an Fender acoustic Guitar, it wasn't that expensive and was with in gift budget, If she shows more than passing interest and learns to play she will get a better one. Even hauled out my Tenor Sax and started to play after 40 years not much music yet, lot of squawks but it will come. One Grandson on Alto Sax, Granddaughter on Guitar, Oldest Grandson on Violin oldest Granddaughter singing and me on Tenor Sax we have a Piano in Living room should be interesting next time we are all together.

tom

Tom

Comment

Working...