• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lago
    Established Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Lago Vista, TX.

Need help finding a hinge.

I am making a medicine cabinet for daughter and SIL, who are remodeling a 50-60 year old farm house that belongs to his Dad. The existing cabinet is metal and rusting out.

I have the cabinet ready to assemble but need to find the hinges for the door. She wants a mirror a bit larger than the cabinet. The outside dimensions are 21" x 15". I have a 2" face frame on the cabinet but want to have the inside frame of the door be about 1/2" from the inside edge of the face frame. To explain better, see Sketchup attached. It only shows the one side of the door frame.

The door frame itself will be 2" wide with 1/2" dado for mirror and backing.

If I can't find anything, I may have to resort to a piano hinge as a last resort.

Just looking for suggestions.

Thanks

Lago
    Attached Files
  • JimD
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2003
    • Lexington, SC.

I don't see what's wrong with a piano hinge. If you want something more period appropriate you could just use a couple but hinges. If you want to look at a lot of hardware you could go to:

www.wwhardware.com

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

LeeValley has a pretty good home hardware catalog full of hinges, knobs and pulls. Probably Not exensive as above but it is nice to look at from time to time.
      Last edited by leehljp; 07-07-2014, 07:41 PM.
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

continuous hinges are sometimes cut to length with a hacksaw.
        Makes them a "custom" hinge.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Black wallnut
          cycling to health
          • Jan 2003
          • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
          • BT3k 1999

Originally posted by JimD
          I don't see what's wrong with a piano hinge. If you want something more period appropriate you could just use a couple but hinges. If you want to look at a lot of hardware you could go to:

www.wwhardware.com
          I'll go one better, at the above site look at this hinge: http://www.wwhardware.com/youngdale-...rlay-hinge-hy5
          Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• lago
            Established Member
            • Nov 2003
            • Lago Vista, TX.

Originally posted by Black wallnut
            I'll go one better, at the above site look at this hinge: http://www.wwhardware.com/youngdale-...rlay-hinge-hy5

I think those may work. I did see a cabinet at a Lowes or BORG that had a hinge similar to that. That was when I first started thinking about the project. But now it looks like they changed the display.

Thanks

Lago

Comment

Working...