• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hellrazor
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2003
    • Abyss, PA
    • Ridgid R4512

Stick frame and a metal roof. Will last a long time.

Comment

• biologyben
      Forum Newbie
      • Nov 2007
      • WV
      • Craftsman 21829

The blueprints for this indicate using 12" strips of 1/4" tempered hardboard in two perpendicular layers (first one direction from edge to crown, then the other edge to crown. Laid this direction, the sheets will actually be straight, despite the appearance of a curved roof.

At the intersection of each pair of strips, 2- 5/16" bolts would be drilled and installed to secure as well as nails at the crowns and edge board. The overhanging edge receives a 1x1 angle iron - L to strengthen and hold the edge - all told, it is specifying more than 1400 carriage bolts.

The whole thing would then be covered with fiberglass roofing mesh and stabilized asphalt. It also say to recoat every 2 years.

So to be fair, the roof is at least 1/2" thick!

Originally posted by Hellrazor
      Stick frame and a metal roof. Will last a long time.
      I agree - metal roof is the way to go for a regular shelter.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

recoating every two years is high maintenance. after you move on someone with less personal investment in it will forget or ignore it and after 4 years it will be in ruins.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• biologyben
          Forum Newbie
          • Nov 2007
          • WV
          • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by LCHIEN
          recoating every two years is high maintenance. after you move on someone with less personal investment in it will forget or ignore it and after 4 years it will be in ruins.
          Which is probably why I can't find a standing example today...

Comment

• tfischer
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2003
            • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
            • BT3100

I have to confess I'm not a fan of metal roofs (with the possible exception of the newer architectural roofs that look like slate shingles). This goes doubly in a setting such as you're talking about where you want things to look natural.

Rather than a plain-Jane standard box shelter, but recognizing that the one we're discussing isn't terribly practical, how about something that's both aesthetically pleasing AND practical, such as this? Probably out of your budget, but you could take some ideas from it...

Comment

• tfischer
              Veteran Member
              • Jul 2003
              • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
              • BT3100

Or if you like mid-century modern, build a more rustic, wood version of this:

Comment

• atgcpaul
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2003
                • Maryland
                • Grizzly 1023SLX

Would you be opposed to something you'd take down at the end of the season?

We used to have a huge shade tree in our yard but since it fell over, there's no shelter from the sun on our patio. If I built a pergola or some kind of structure, I'd have to go through my HOA/historic district, etc.

I've been thinking about getting a shade sail like you see here that I could attach between my house and detached garage. I'd take it down at the end of the season.

http://www.mightycovers.com/Shade-Sail-Cover.htm

Comment

• biologyben
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Nov 2007
                  • WV
                  • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by tfischer
                  I have to confess I'm not a fan of metal roofs (with the possible exception of the newer architectural roofs that look like slate shingles). This goes doubly in a setting such as you're talking about where you want things to look natural.

Rather than a plain-Jane standard box shelter, but recognizing that the one we're discussing isn't terribly practical, how about something that's both aesthetically pleasing AND practical, such as this? Probably out of your budget, but you could take some ideas from it...

This is a great design - crazy expensive to be sure, but I like it...

Would you be opposed to something you'd take down at the end of the season?

We used to have a huge shade tree in our yard but since it fell over, there's no shelter from the sun on our patio. If I built a pergola or some kind of structure, I'd have to go through my HOA/historic district, etc.

I've been thinking about getting a shade sail like you see here that I could attach between my house and detached garage. I'd take it down at the end of the season.

http://www.mightycovers.com/Shade-Sail-Cover.htm]
                  This is a great idea as well - I can't believe, a 30x30 sheet would be $2k - plus the posts and other hardware. Might still be a great option...

I like these suggestions - Thanks!

Comment

Working...