X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • inkslinger
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2014

Mud Room Bench Seat

Now that I have this BT3000 table saw , My wife wants to build a Bench Seat for the Mud Room for our first project .
    Any one have any ideas or web page to look at or pic's , she is wanting a open bottom for shoes. I've seen base been made with 2x4 but didn't know if 2x2 with 5/8 or 3/4 inch grade A plywood would just be as strong? It will get painted white to match the bead board we have in the room now.

• Stytooner
    Roll Tide RIP Lee
    • Dec 2002
    • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
    • BT3100

That is something where the sky is the limit really.
    I have seen everything from a 2x8 on cider blocks to the most elegantly adorned hall trees.

This is a time for Google images I think.

Check out some of those and when you see something that you know she will like, then check back here and we can help you out with possible materials and techniques as well as finishes.
    Sounds like a fun project and good luck with it.

PS. Also on the painting thing, not everyone color coordinates everything nowadays. The in thing is to use different colored cabinets and woods throughout to keep it from being too mundane. I concur and that is something I knew a long time ago. The eye doesn't just want to see white and beige. If the walls are white and the furniture is white, that is called camouflage. No statement there.
    The first piece into the house should at least say hello. Sit on me. Not ignore you.
    Last edited by Stytooner; 02-10-2014, 06:38 PM.
    Lee

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2007
      • Buena Park, CA
      • CM 21829

Lee has the right idea - also try this additional Google Image query: https://www.google.com/search?q=mud+...w=1356&bih=897

I recall seeing this a while back as well: http://www.finewoodworking.com/woodw...-the-door.aspx
      Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• atgcpaul
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Maryland
        • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by inkslinger
        Now that I have this BT3000 table saw , My wife wants to build a Bench Seat for the Mud Room for our first project .
        Any one have any ideas or web page to look at or pic's , she is wanting a open bottom for shoes. I've seen base been made with 2x4 but didn't know if 2x2 with 5/8 or 3/4 inch grade A plywood would just be as strong? It will get painted white to match the bead board we have in the room now.

Welcome.

Check out this one:

I made this with regular 1x stock and MDF and painted it white. 1x is plenty strong enough.

We filled the three cubbies with baskets. I'm not a fan of the baskets but my wife likes it.

Comment

• Stytooner
          Roll Tide RIP Lee
          • Dec 2002
          • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
          • BT3100

Geezy peat! Perhaps we have given information overload when all the guy need was a simple plan.
          I have just been looking through the images a bit. Wow! Some very nice solutions there.
          Which leads me to this. If you find something that might look great and what she might like, but it has drawers instead of cubbies or something, don't be afraid to change it up to make it your own or to suit your needs. Ours is a simple hardwood bench with a bottom shelf and it is painted two tone. We bought it at an unfinished furniture place and I lost the battle over painting or not. After that loss though, I figured I didn't build it, so why finish it? She painted it of course.
          Lee

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

once you find a style you like, the you go do a search for DIY Mudroom bench plans and now you'll have detailed plans for multiple designs - find one similar to the one you liked visually and change the plans to suit length, compartments, etc.

Or, if you are uncertain of your ability to modify, build as per plan. Beware of people selling large collections of plans - they usually collected them off the internet without paying the original owners and re-published without attribution. SOmething that is pretty low.

Last edited by LCHIEN; 02-10-2014, 09:58 PM.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• JoeyGee
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2005
              • Sylvania, OH, USA.
              • BT3100-1

Ana White's site is great for this kind of stuff. Here are a couple I have been thinking about making--if I ever get the time:

Joe

Comment

• inkslinger
                Forum Newbie
                • Feb 2014

WoW Thanks guys lots of info , it's going to take day's to look at but would like it simple like this one with out the bottom curve at the bottom planning on using baseboard on the bottom anyway , I do have a jig but never had done this.
                With something like this pic if I make it with 3/4 maple plywood with 2 "feet's" on each corner on the inside to keep it level and center brace will it be strong ? or should I go with a 2x4 bottom frame ? Just got to make strong I'm not a skinny young veteran like I use to be! My wife likes the open bottom to put shoes in .
                Attached Files
                Last edited by inkslinger; 02-11-2014, 12:59 PM.

Comment

• steve-norrell
                  Veteran Member
                  • Apr 2006
                  • The Great Land - Alaska
                  • BT3100-1

Originally posted by inkslinger
                  WoW Thanks guys lots of info , it's going to take day's to look at but would like it simple like this one with out the bottom curve at the bottom planning on using baseboard on the bottom anyway , I do have a jig but never had done this.
                  That is a pretty nice looking bench, I'll have to think about making one myself. Actually, 3/4 ply uprights would be plenty strong and a 3/4 bottom self should have no problem supporting the bench. As an added precaution, you could use supports under the upright pieces (between the bottom shelf and the floor) since they will be hidden by the front piece.

I'm not a skinny, young whippersnapper either and would have not problem with a bench built with 3/4 ply. Good Luck.

Steve

Comment

• should_have
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Feb 2006
                    • Baltimore, MD
                    • BT3100

I borrowed my plan from HomeDepot/Martha Steward. Cut off 1/3 of Martha or buy 3 pieces of melamine. Bench $72 or 3*9=$27. I wanted to try and round the corners but my wife was happy as is. I also lowered the bench/dimensions by 1 inch to keep the height the same as a chair, which meant I lost the small shelf. Didn't want to bent over that addition 1 inch to tie my shoes. Have fun
                    Attached Files

Comment

• durango dude
                      • Mar 2011
                      • a thousand or so feet above insanity
                      • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

might try a 5 board bench ----

A fun and inexpensive project to make in a weekend. Charles spent a Saturday and Sunday making and finishing a pine, five-board bench, enter the contest at ...

Last edited by durango dude; 02-13-2014, 12:00 AM.

Comment

• inkslinger
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Feb 2014

Originally posted by should_have
                        I borrowed my plan from HomeDepot/Martha Steward. Cut off 1/3 of Martha or buy 3 pieces of melamine. Bench $72 or 3*9=$27. I wanted to try and round the corners but my wife was happy as is. I also lowered the bench/dimensions by 1 inch to keep the height the same as a chair, which meant I lost the small shelf. Didn't want to bent over that addition 1 inch to tie my shoes. Have fun
                        Is the melamine board strong and what would you use to tack this together 18g finish nails 1in and some glue? Is this already white finsh?

Comment

• should_have
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Feb 2006
                          • Baltimore, MD
                          • BT3100

I can't remember where I saw a calculator, but I'm guessing melamine is not very strong and needs support. I believe I have a 3” stringer across the front, I used 1 5/8” wood screws on the sides and pocket screws everywhere else (stringer and center support). I drilled the ends first with drill bit/45 combo using one of those drill presses that attaches to your hand drill. I cut blocks/spacers 2" thick to sit my top and bottoms on so everything was centered/lined-up and then drilled pilots hole in the melamine before screwing together. With the center piece and two stringer, even thou the bottom one is 1/16” off the floor I' pretty comfortable sitting my 230lb butt on it. I only have the 3” stringer on the front but have 2” inch stringers front and back. The divider runs front to back.

I would be afraid to use a finisher on this product, and every thing has to be pretty center/perpendicular while drilling/screwing things together. Yes it come pre-finished white and no glue, the surface/melamine I believe is not poriuses enough to accept glue. You could maybe route some dados and use glue and a finishesunailer bit this stuff makes a LOT of FINE DUST. Also chips very easy
                          Last edited by should_have; 02-13-2014, 07:16 PM.

Comment

• Knottscott
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2004
                            • Rochester, NY.
                            • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

I made this one a few years ago for some good friends of ours. Not sure it'd function for your needs, but it could foster some ideas.

Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• radhak
                              Veteran Member
                              • Apr 2006
                              • Miramar, FL
                              • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Oh wow, Scott! That's an awesome piece! Great finish!
                              Are those true thru-tenons?

And Should-have, I'm impressed with your innovation! Good adaptation!
                              It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
                              - Aristotle

Comment

Working...