Non shop, non home improvement project planning...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Non shop, non home improvement project planning...

I have been wanting to make one of these since I sold my old Ford Ranger and picked up the F150 back in '06...

A dual canoe / ladder rack that secures to the truck stake pockets.

This is just simple design #1. However I am mulling over designs that will allow me to use iron pipe / PVC pipe as a roller sort of setup to ease loading / unloading of the boats.

The Sketchup of it is HERE.

I fully intend on having the truck back on the road before the end of January, and I need to have this done, and ready to go before mid march when we are taking some time off to go on a club run in the Frio river (asuming the river cooperates...).

My plan is to use PT pine, and leave it unfinished for at least one season. After the season ends (October / November), I will sand it down, and coat it with roll on truck bed coating to keep moisture out.

Materials used?
    2 @ 8 foot 2x10s.
    4 @ 8 foot 2x4s.
    1/2 sq /ft scrap 1/2" treated ply.
    4 @ 3/8" coarse thread inserts.
    4 @ 3/8" x 2" stainless coarse hex bolts.
    4 @ 3/8" stainless fender washers.
    24 @ #12 x 3" Stainless wood screws. (Marine supply near me has them).
    36 @ #12 x 2" Stainless wood screws.
    1 @ Quart Herculiner brush on truck bed liner.

I have been using the foam block carrier method but it only handles one boat. I can't really put the boat in the bed for most of my trips as I am also hauling copious amounts of camping gear, especially during duck season. (Coolers, cammo, blind material etc...).
    Attached Files
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
Working...