• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Old Dutchman
    Forum Newbie
    • Oct 2011
    • Holland Mi
    • My BT3000

I think that if You are going to start with a piece of 1 inch by 4 inch wide stock, I would just set the fence to cut a piece of 1/16 in material off of the board. If Youfirst measure the thickness of the blade, plus the1/16 in. thickness, and cut blanks off a board. These could be added to the fence to cutt the 1/16 in material. There is also a jig that I have seen that is home made that can adjust the thickness of the board, and is set firmly from the rite side of the blade. This way, You would set the board against the jig, and move the fence to contact the board, and this will set the fence to cut 1/16 in. m aterial from the board each time You set it. I am sorry, I am not very good at explaining what I am trying to say, or You would see Me post more often.
    I have Hope, and I am Thankfull! Consider WhoWhoGreated it ALL

Comment

• jdon
      Established Member
      • Feb 2010
      • Snoqualmie, Wash.
      • BT3100

How tight do tolerances need to be? Seems to me that resawing (at least with my skills) would lead to some waviness, not to mention possible warpage.

As an alternative, maybe you could use something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Styrene-Sheet-...m_sbs_indust_2

seems a lot easier, IMHO

Comment

• Pappy
        The Full Monte
        • Dec 2002
        • San Marcos, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 (x2)

I have an old coin op table. The edge of the cushion is 1 3/4" above the slate.
        Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
        Fools because they have to say something.
        Plato

Comment

• Raffi
          Established Member
          • Sep 2003
          • CA, USA.

Originally posted by jdon
          How tight do tolerances need to be? Seems to me that resawing (at least with my skills) would lead to some waviness, not to mention possible warpage.

As an alternative, maybe you could use something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Styrene-Sheet-...m_sbs_indust_2

seems a lot easier, IMHO
          This is an interesting option. I wonder if it is sturdy enough, the rails need to be cinched down pretty well. Creative solution that I will look into.

Comment

• Raffi
            Established Member
            • Sep 2003
            • CA, USA.

Originally posted by Pappy
            I have an old coin op table. The edge of the cushion is 1 3/4" above the slate.
            Pappy, I am finding that it varies based on the profile of the rail cushion rubber.

Man, I am learning more than I ever thought I would or wanted to about pool table construction!

My rails are definitely low. The 'nose' of the cushion is 1 3/8. From what I am reading that is 1/16th below what it should be for my table.

The question is whether it is just the height, or angle of the cushion attached to the rail that is the problem.

I've decided to just rip some 1x4 material to 1x 1/16 strips on my table saw and see if that solves the problem. Then I can figure a more permanent solution.

If it is the angle of the cushion attached the the rail, I am in for a much more complicated fix: remove cloth, remove cushions, add wood or remove wood to create proper angle, re glue cushions, replace cloth - $$$$$$

Comment

• conwaygolfer
              Established Member
              • Jun 2008
              • Conway, SC.
              • BT3000

If you have ever used an edge band for the ends of plywood, I think it is about the right thickness you want. Just iron it on perhaps down the sides and one down the middle. That would save you a lot of work.

Conwaygolfer

Comment

• Raffi
                Established Member
                • Sep 2003
                • CA, USA.

Originally posted by conwaygolfer
                If you have ever used an edge band for the ends of plywood, I think it is about the right thickness you want. Just iron it on perhaps down the sides and one down the middle. That would save you a lot of work.

Conwaygolfer
                I think they would be a little thin, but I will for sure check them out at the BORG. I plan on scoping the place out for a creative solution if it comes down to just having to raise the rails.

Thanks.

Comment

• JR
                  The Full Monte
                  • Feb 2004
                  • Eugene, OR
                  • BT3000

How about vinyl floor tiles? That should be about the right thickness...
                  JR

Comment

• JR
                    The Full Monte
                    • Feb 2004
                    • Eugene, OR
                    • BT3000

Originally posted by JR
                    How about vinyl floor tiles? That should be about the right thickness...
                    Answering my own proposal. Vinyl tiles are made in metric thicknesses. The thinnest, 2mm, is a hair over 1/16" - between 1/16" and 3/32".

I guess whether this would work depends on the accuracy of your 1/16" requirement!
                    JR

Comment

• Raffi
                      Established Member
                      • Sep 2003
                      • CA, USA.

The guy who put the cloth on and leveled the table is coming back out on Friday to look at the issue. Also another pool table "mechanic" has offered to look at a rail and give his opinion.

It's December and I don't have a whole lot of spare cash, so hopefully they can give me an idea of what i need to do to address the issue.

Thanks so much for all of the creative ideas.

Comment

• Raffi
                        Established Member
                        • Sep 2003
                        • CA, USA.

Update

Installer came out and recommended shimming the rails, his idea: go buy a couple dollars worth of nickels and throw them under.

I also took a couple rails to a pool table mechanic out here. He actually took the cloth off of a part of one of the rails.

As I think I explained a bit before there was a change at some point in the design of the cushions for pool tables. K-55 which had a longer face on top than the bottom, then they went to K-66 in which the top face and bottom face are the same.

The part of the rail where the cushion attaches has an angle to it, and it needs to be set appropriately for K-55 or K-66.

My assumption was, older table and at some point someone put on newer (K-66) cushions without changing the angle on the rail to match.

When the mechanic took off the cloth he found that it was exactly opposite. Table was meant to have K-66 rails and they put on K-55.

So the fix would be to replace all of the cushions (which are in good shape just the wrong shape lol) which would run in the area of $400.

His suggestion? Same as what I and the installer had guessed, he said "try shimming the rails and see if it fixes the hop". And his suggestion for shims? "When I run into this problem I just go to the craft store and buy poster board".

So I like the poster board idea. Very similar to many of the suggestions here. Thanks everyone for all your great ideas.

Raffi

Comment

Working...