• Show
Clear All
  • lrr
    Established Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Fort Collins, Colorado
    • Ryobi BT-3100

Crosscut Sled Runner question

I have a BT3100 with the dual miter slot add-on accessory. I want to build a crosscut sled, but have wondered how well they work with one runner (or two using both slots). Most articles on sled designs show them using runners that ride in miter slots that are on both sides of the blade on "typical" table saws.

I have thought about buying the Craftsman table extension for routers, since it has miter slots on it. A friend has one and I dropped it into my saw, and it looks to be a good solution, but I wouldn't mind just using the saw as-is if the sled would have enough support (and accuracy) using my existing miter slot(s).
    Lee
  • JR
    The Full Monte
    • Feb 2004
    • Eugene, OR
    • BT3000

Originally posted by lrr
    I have thought about buying the Craftsman table extension for routers, since it has miter slots on it.
    That's probably not the right answer. The problem is getting the miter slot in the extension table aligned with the blade, and therefor aligned with the slots in your current setup. And if you do get it aligned, could you replicate that alignment when you move the extension table.

I think there are three potential solutions.
    1. Use the SMT that came with your saw. I don't use mine, but there are many who say they are able to use theirs reliably.
    2. Try two runners in your current setup. Given that two runners are better than one, this would probably provide good results.
    3. Mount a DSMT (or a homemade version) to the right of the blade, which is what I have done.
    JR

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2007
      • Buena Park, CA
      • CM 21829

I don't think you need two runners. I have only one runner on my xcut sled and it works great; in fact, all my sleds only have one runner. Just make sure there's no slop in the fit of the runner to the miter slot, so the sled can't wiggle. I'd also make the runner at least as long as your sled, maybe longer if your sled depth is short.
      Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• Carpenter96
        Established Member
        • Aug 2011
        • Barrie ON Canada
        • BT 3000

+ one for align and one runner.

Regards Bob

Comment

• Brian G
          • Jun 2003
          • Bloomington, Minnesota.
          • G0899

I also agree that one runner is all that you need.

One thing that I did with my crosscut sled (sorry, no pictures) is drill 1/4" hole in the sled so that the hole aligns with the hole for the pivot pin for the miter fence on the SMT. I push a dowel, flush with the surface of the crosscutt sled, so that it sloppily fits in the hole in the SMT. All that this does is give me more support for the use of the crosscut sled. It has no alignment utility at all.
          Brian

Comment

• MBG
            • Apr 2003
            • Chicago, Illinois.
            • Craftsman 21829

This is a solution (I also like the shop made tables with miter tracks):

I will be building a larger cabinet and needed a sled that could cross-cut 24" panels. I wanted a single-runner sled (cause my table saw only as one miter slot). Wish list: (1) A runner that had no seasonal movement. I've used wood. It expands, it shrinks. (2) A runner with no slop. I have used the Incra miter runners, but they are tricky to adjust. The 24" version has only three (I think) width adjustment points and no matter what I do, there is always a little bit of side-to-side play.

Mike

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

the craftsman router table with miter slots: The miter slots are for router in the table use only. There's no way to guarantee that they are aligned to the blade.

One slot will do. If you use two you have to be real careful to get them paralleled exactly at the right distance or they will bind. Further if you do the math I'm sure that for any reasonable miter bar that the slop will be exceedingly small.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Cochese
                Veteran Member
                • Jun 2010

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                the craftsman router table with miter slots: The miter slots are for router in the table use only. There's no way to guarantee that they are aligned to the blade.

One slot will do. If you use two you have to be real careful to get them paralleled exactly at the right distance or they will bind. Further if you do the math I'm sure that for any reasonable miter bar that the slop will be exceedingly small.
                Sometimes you get lucky and they do line up.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
                I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Cochese
                  Sometimes you get lucky and they do line up.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
                  why depend upon luck when one works fine?
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA
                  If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                  BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Cochese
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jun 2010

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                    why depend upon luck when one works fine?
                    I was referring to the router table.
                    I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• eezlock
                      • Feb 2006
                      • Charlotte,N.C.
                      • BT3100

crosscut sled runner question

I feel that something as big as a crosscut sled would give better cutting results
                      on a consistent basis and stay in alignment better with two sled runners on it.

You could add another dual slot miter table to the other side of the blade as I
                      did with my saw, or make a sled runner that would ride along the outside edge
                      of the saw table using a runner made of good, straight, hardwood or one of
                      aluminum channel tracks like Kreg Co. makes, from Rockler or other suppliers. It could be mounted on a strip of wood and attached between the main saw table
                      and the miter slot table giving you another slot for your sled to ride in.

Comment

• lrr
                        Established Member
                        • Apr 2006
                        • Fort Collins, Colorado
                        • Ryobi BT-3100

Thanks for all the suggestions. Good to know that a single runner works well on a sled for some of you. I'll probably try that first due to the simplicity.
                        Lee

Comment

Working...