• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gsmittle
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2004
    • St. Louis, MO, USA.
    • BT 3100

Well, the panel in question is not a door, it's to be mounted on a wall. Also, it's maple, no stain, finished with super blonde shellac and wiping poly. Humidity around here does vary quite a bit by season, so that may be an issue.

What I've done so far is finish the panel and one coat of shellac on the inside of the frame (I marked where the glue will be, so no finish there). Tomorrow's project is assembling the frame and panel, then another coat of shellac on the frame, followed by poly.

After that, only four more panels to go. Pics when I eventually finish.

Thanks to all for the advice.

g.
    Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
    Bill & Ted

Comment

• woodturner
      Veteran Member
      • Jun 2008
      • Western Pennsylvania
      • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by gsmittle
      What I've done so far is finish the panel and one coat of shellac on the inside of the frame (I marked where the glue will be, so no finish there). Tomorrow's project is assembling the frame and panel, then another coat of shellac on the frame, followed by poly.
      I like shellac and use it as a final finish for most of my projects. I'm curious - why you plan to put poly over the shellac?
      --------------------------------------------------
      Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• gsmittle
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2004
        • St. Louis, MO, USA.
        • BT 3100

Originally posted by woodturner
        I like shellac and use it as a final finish for most of my projects. I'm curious - why you plan to put poly over the shellac?
        So it matches the bookcases! I put poly on the built-in bookcases for better wear (I'm pulling books out constantly), so I wanted the panels to match. It's a 50-50 mix of Zinser glossy clear oil poly and mineral spirits. I like the slight bit of warmth the poly provides.

I use shellac as a final finish often; it's relatively cheap, easy to apply and easy to clean up.

I guess I could have used a warmer shellac, but super blonde is what I had on hand.

g.
        Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
        Bill & Ted

Comment

Working...