• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

bit holder for router case

My Bosch Colt router case had this dumb wasted space so I turned it into bit storage.
    All the 1/4" shank bits I don't use in the bigger router.

I tried putting them loose into the space but they banged each other (not good for the cutting edges) and with the lack of a full wall around the space they ended up all over the case when carried around.

1/4" holes chamfered for easy entry, hot melt glued to the bottom of the space. 3/16" dowel to hold bearings and a spot to put small Allen wrenches.
    hardest part was using scissors and making a thin cardboard template of the odd-shaped area, used it to mark the wood and then used a bandsaw and 1" belt sander to smooth it out.
    Drill press with fence and depth stop helps a lot.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 02-04-2013, 11:02 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

Good idea!
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato

Comment

• windmill
      Forum Newbie
      • Sep 2007

Great idea. Plus, now I finally know how all the stuff is supposed to fit in the case again... :-)

Comment

• greenacres2
        • Dec 2011
        • La Porte, IN
        • Ryobi BT3000

If you look very closely at inside of the lid, embossed between the hinges is a microscopic detail of how the case should be arranged for the installers kit. If i recall correctly, Loring put his bits where the offset base goes.

My Colt case was definitely not designed for the plunge base--i can't find any way to fit it. Also--the little diagram in the lid tells me that Bosch thinks their employees have better near vision than i do. No way i can tell for sure what goes where.

earl

Comment

• Crockett
          Established Member
          • Mar 2003
          • Buffalo, NY, USA.
          • BT3100

Very creative!!
          Al

Comment

• cabinetman
            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

Originally posted by greenacres2
            If you look very closely at inside of the lid, embossed between the hinges is a microscopic detail of how the case should be arranged for the installers kit. If i recall correctly, Loring put his bits where the offset base goes.

My Colt case was definitely not designed for the plunge base--i can't find any way to fit it. Also--the little diagram in the lid tells me that Bosch thinks their employees have better near vision than i do. No way i can tell for sure what goes where.

earl
            It's a good idea to utilize available space for bits like that. It might be a set up just for off site work, where you only need a small selection of bits. And, choosing which bits to store in there might be a chore. Usually bits may be set up according to use. I think for a mobile case I would have some foam type of cover over the bits to keep them steady.

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by greenacres2

earl
              yeah I saw the little tiny diagrams embossed in the bottom of the lid bu I couldn't identify any of the accessories I knew of to the outline shown in the digrams. So I figured I wouldn't miss the space. I can always peel the bit holder out if I need the space later.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...