Large computer armoire design problem. Noise control?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chopnhack
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2006
    • Florida
    • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by dbhost

The mounting you see attached to #6 is done with 3m Scotch brand double sided mounting tape.
    Glad to know that worked for you... I used hook and loop material and worked well for a number of years, but the heat of the router eventually caused the adhesive to "give" and the hardware started to slid, just a heads up.
    I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by chopnhack
      Glad to know that worked for you... I used hook and loop material and worked well for a number of years, but the heat of the router eventually caused the adhesive to "give" and the hardware started to slid, just a heads up.
      The SMC was on the old desk for almost 8 years no problem using just regular scotch double stick mounting tape... The Cisco / Linksys router is a mess lighter, and runs cooler. I seriously doubt any problems will happen with the router, or the switch. The cable modem might be another story though. It runs fairly warm...
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• JSUPreston
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2005
        • Montgomery, AL.
        • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

You may want to look at an Avocent DSR4010 KVM. Even though it doesn't have the software to be a complete IP KVM, you can still run the KVM signal over CAT 5. I sold one on the "bay" a couple of months ago for around $100 with the SIPs for the systems.

That would at least help with remote mounting the systems.
        "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

I hate to give up on my current. A TrendNET 8 port usb KVM. I can run extended VGA / usb cables to the KVM if need be...
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

I found a workable, inexpensive solution to my problem. After talking about it with a friend of mine that is in IT and does a lot of the same home network stuff I do, and is also a working guitarist with a local band, and session musician, he showed off his setup. And I figure I can mimic this easily, and inexpensively.

The LAN rack he is using for a group of 8 computers, and a couple of signal processors beyond what I am interested in doing, is a simple wire LAN rack.

Image Source: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg

I have opted actually for this specific one, through a different vendor ($15.00 shipping!).

Obviously this rack does NOTHING for noise levels. What my friend does, is when he needs to get it quiet, he drapes a sleeping bag over the rack, leaving space on the bottom for the rack to pick up air. Voila, silent, or at least silent enough that any sound the computers are making isn't picked up by any mics.

Comment

Working...