• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

working on a play deck for a toddler

Working on a play deck for my 18-MO grandson.
    The deck part is 15 inches high as you can see in the attachment photo.

I was originally going to put full balluster railings on it but the idea is to make a platform he can comfortably climb on. The primary entrance is thru the gate to the right, but it I leave the railing on it but no ballusters (see the short sample piece of railing I put on it temporarily), then he can slide under the railings to get on and off the deck in more ways. I'm now thinking that the ballusters are only meant to prevent falling through from higher places than 15 inches (onto grass at that) so its not necessary.

The second picture shows how the ballusters would appear...

WHat do you think?

Of course, the finished project is planned to have a steering wheel, a telescope, a horn, and some more stuff...
    Attached Files
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • durango dude
    • Mar 2011
    • a thousand or so feet above insanity
    • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

careful on the spacing of the ballusters.

When I lived in Wisconsin, I lived near Swing n Slide's headquarters.

They had some great products ---- and ended up having to handle a lot of design considerations that were dictated by liability attorneys.

It's hard to anticipate how a toddler will use any product --- so the designs need to be child-proof.

Were I designing --- the distance between any two vertical components would never be larger than the 90 percent of the width of the average toddler's head -- OR --- they'd be at least 1.5 the width of the average toddler's body --- that way --- I minimize the chances of a toddler getting caught --- especially by the neck.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

yeah I know, they recommend 3-4 inches between ballusters and 3-4 inches max between the bottom rail and the deck. No way to get a head stuck there!

But you do raise a good point, I have to protect the ends/corners even if I leave the sides open.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

A generic measure would be a tennis ball or the diameter of a soda can.

Comment

• Pappy
          The Full Monte
          • Dec 2002
          • San Marcos, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 (x2)

Originally posted by durango dude
          It's hard to anticipate how a toddler will use any product --- so the designs need to be child-proof.
          Err or, in this case, over engineer on the side of safety and go with the balisters. 15" is a long fall if you compare it to his height. Think about what kind of toys he might have in his hands when he fell.
          Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
          Fools because they have to say something.
          Plato

Comment

• atgcpaul
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2003
            • Maryland
            • Grizzly 1023SLX

Also leave space on the hinge side and latch side of that gate for fingers. I have a 2.5 yo and a 20 mo. From experience, I know they will pull or push the gate shut while still holding onto the edge of the door or have their hand on the post. Great way to get pinched fingers. Actually, none of our baby gates use leaf hinges. The door is captured at the top and bottom and a vertical rod is used as the pivot.

Space under the door would be good, too.

Make sure everything is sanded smooth. Not just for splinters but kids gnaw on everything.

Looks like you've got some beefy bolts holding the uprights to the rim joists. My girls love grabbing balusters and shaking them back and forth like caged gorillas.

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Pappy
              Err or, in this case, over engineer on the side of safety and go with the balisters. 15" is a long fall if you compare it to his height. Think about what kind of toys he might have in his hands when he fell.
              my thinking here is that the railing will prevent his falling overboard from a full 15" when standing upright.

I'm thinking if he goes under the rail he has to back through or sit down in which case his feet will be over the side first and then they'll only be a matter of inches to hit the ground and he'll have his hands on the deck to break his fall. Basically this is a height he's already managing to get on and off safely with coffee table and sofa seats. Just don't want him going off standing up and that's what the rail is for.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

Working...