Not a wood project, but keeping me busy anyway...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Not a wood project, but keeping me busy anyway...

I have been busting my backside getting the old junk out of the home office, and setting up the OpenNebula cloud.

And before anyone mentions it, I KNOW I need carpet. I have been needing carpet. Actually I need to rip the carpet out and lay down hardwood flooring. The dog is finally mostly out of the puppy stage, so that is a 2013 planned project...

Anyway, here is the present layout. I was installing CentOS 6.3 on the computer visible to the right above the desk at the time of this photo...

IMAG0206 by dbhost3006, on Flickr

Not sure if I even mentioned here why, but this is all about training for me. I needed to get some RHEL clustering, virtualization, and cloud experience under my belt before my job gets farmed out to India or somewhere like that. Building a lab and doing self paced study at home is more effective for me, and about 1/3 the cost of classroom training...

IMAG0207 by dbhost3006, on Flickr

Now I know this isn't 100% proper "structured wiring", and it is a LONG way off of being where I want to eventually be, but I am using up otherwise dead space, and keeping the cabling in an organized fashion. I hate to brag, but considering what I had to work with, I am very pleased with the professionalism of the installation. I need to chase down the cables under the desk for sure, but from here it looks great!

Not pictured is the CP585AVR UPS and Nebula front end server (stashed behind the desk, and in the CPU compartment that has a closed door), as well as an original CyberPower CP1500 UPS. The CP585AVR and CP1500 were refurbished and work as good as new. The CP1500 is going into the master bedroom with the Windows 7 desktop, and printer.

The filer head, RAID shelf, OpenNebula front end server, a Windows XP workstation, and one of the OpenNebula cluster nodes is up, running, and patched up to date. The second cluster node is having a video board problem. That's the one I WAS loading in the above photo, you can't see well in the picture, but it is oh so painfully obvious the video RAM is toast... These were purchased as a pile of parts, and the video board that we ordered, well... it's defective. SO I am working with the vendor to provide an exchange for a known good unit. So for now, it sits unloaded, and waiting...

IMAG0208 by dbhost3006, on Flickr

The KVM I am using is a VERY old Belkin OmniView 4 port that has given me FITS ever since my last PS/2 mouse died. It took me forever to find a PS/2 to USB adapter that would work with this KVM, and I finally did, today of all things. I was thinking I needed to replace the KVM with an 8 port. Which I do, but at least for now, I can get by with the 4 port. And yes one of the Linux boxes is running headless. If I ever need keyboard or video input, I will just swap from another machine temporarily... Oh the sharpie markings on the mouse adapter? Those are from me marking it to insure I KNOW this is the one that works with the KVM...

For now, I will go back to what I was using previously, just do it cleaner. I am using WireMold raceway, and fittings, this will get 8 Cat 6 cables through, barely. I route this through to a pass through the drywall into the closet, where the cables get routed overhead, and through into the attic. I Before long all of those ports will have something in them. They won't be in use right away, but a port standing at the ready when I am ready to use it is the idea...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
Working...