• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • All Thumbs
    Established Member
    • Oct 2009
    • Penn Hills, PA
    • BT3K/Saw-Stop

I'd start with overly thick components, assemble it, make sure the doors operate smoothly, and then start carving (using an angle grinder and progressing down to fine sandpaper).

It isn't really casework as much as it is sculpture.

Comment

• chopnhack
      Veteran Member
      • Oct 2006
      • Florida
      • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by All Thumbs
      I'd start with overly thick components, assemble it, make sure the doors operate smoothly, and then start carving (using an angle grinder and progressing down to fine sandpaper).

Wow... If you are right on the construction, that is a lot of wood to remove - a l ot of work!
      I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

Originally posted by chopnhack
        Wow... If you are right on the construction, that is a lot of wood to remove - a l ot of work!
        If you notice, the door patterns are continuous with the frames of the doors, and the dividers and ends of the cabinet. The top and bottom looks like a continuation, and so does the backside from what I can see. It's everywhere, its everywhere.

Comment

• leehljp
          Just me
          • Dec 2002
          • Tunica, MS
          • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by All Thumbs

I agree completely! After the straight lines of the doors, frame/carcass were made, the wood that prevented the surface from being "3-D" was removed. Plain woods can be made to be 3-D looking by doing what he did versus what a few natural grains do as in the picture below. Great forethought, insight and vision.

Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• cabinetman
            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

Originally posted by leehljp
            I agree completely! After the straight lines of the doors, frame/carcass were made, the wood that prevented the surface from being "3-D" was removed. Plain woods can be made to be 3-D looking by doing what he did versus what a few natural grains do as in the picture below. Great forethought, insight and vision.
            The surface pattern on the cabinet is more than just a visual impression. IMO, it is done in relief.

Comment

• leehljp
              Just me
              • Dec 2002
              • Tunica, MS
              • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by cabinetman
              The surface pattern on the cabinet is more than just a visual impression. IMO, it is done in relief.

Agreed. Still the end result of "relief work" and "grain pattern" of wood - as in the plate example - give the same kind of depth perception feedback to the eyes. The relief work is real, while the plate is false. Regardless, the visual perception is basically the same.
              Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

Working...