• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lago
    Established Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Lago Vista, TX.

Best wood for Adirondack Chair?

I am in the process of researching for my next 'Daddy-Do' project. I need to build two Adirondack Chairs for my daughter, who lives in the Chicago area. Needless to say, these will only be used in the summer.

I showed her several plans and she wants this one. http://www.minwax.com/wood-projects/...dack-chair.pdf

It is a folding chair and they have the space to store it in the winter. I am trying to decide what wood to use. I have looked at a number of plans and have come up with a number of different woods that were sugested. They ranged from: pine/fir, pressure treated, cedar, and redwood. I even thought about Ipe. I haven't priced any of the wood but I think that redwood and Ipe would be too expensive(2 chairs needed). I am looking at 45 +/-bf for 2 chairs.

Any suggestions?

TIA

Lago
  • chopnhack
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2006
    • Florida
    • Ryobi BT3100

You listed some good choices already, ipe, cedar, p.t. - but the finishing of those are vastly different with the last choice going to require a full pigment to hide the wood... What are you thinking budget wise? As you said, 45 b.f. of wood and ipe, which would last a heck of a long time outdoors if maintained occasionally with some oil, being as expensive as it is - what dollar bracket to do you want to aim for? Pine/fir I would rule out as being too soft and prone to infestation.

Might want to also consider white oak. Oily woods like teak and eucalyptus fair better, but I am not sure of pricing on those...
    I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

Cypress can be a consideration.

Comment

• bigstick509
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2004
        • Macomb, MI, USA.
        • BT3100

My vote would be for red cedar, I built these about 7 years ago and only have to clean and reapply Penofin every 3 years.

Mike

"It's not the things you don't know that will hurt you, it's the things you think you know that ain't so." - Mark Twain

Comment

• radhak
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2006
          • Miramar, FL
          • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

My adirondack chair was my first woodworking/furniture project for the home 7 years ago, and it's still going great.

I used cedar, and recommend the same. Cedar is pretty good for outdoors, and much lighter than the other wood (a useful feature if you plan to move the chair around) .

They say I could have left it unfinished, but I like the warm colors it shows when finished with oil/poly and that's I did (and re-did a couple of times now).
          It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
          - Aristotle

Comment

• lago
            Established Member
            • Nov 2003
            • Lago Vista, TX.

I haven't set a budget yet....waiting to see what the various woods will price out as. I can't complain too much about the price as my daughters FIL has already given me 3 truck loads of red oak, cherry, and small amount of walnut.

I did call Brazos Forest Products(Austin) about white oak and they had very little in stock due to low demand. Right now, I am leaning toward cedar. I have not worked with cedar very much and was concerned about durability.

Lago

Comment

• chopnhack
              Veteran Member
              • Oct 2006
              • Florida
              • Ryobi BT3100

Lago, u lucky man.... 3 truckloads... :-)

Red cedar is a fine choice, i'm sorry I have no experience to share on this wood. I hope you will remember to post project pics.

BTW, gentlemen, those are very fine chairs! Mike, I especially like your design. :-)
              I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

red cedar is probably the cheapest of the woods that are naturally rot-resistant and insect resistant.

Its reasonable to work with and looks OK and is readily available. The choice you then have to make is whether you want to finish it or leave it natural. Natural the low effort approach. The wood will weather from a reddish brown to a silvery gray and stay that way for many years - probably 10 at least and maybe 15-20 at most.
                the other choice is a finish like others have posted and that requires some maintenance - refinishing every 2-3 years but it will look like new after each refinishing job.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• lago
                  Established Member
                  • Nov 2003
                  • Lago Vista, TX.

I talked to Brazos and have decided on cedar. Cost will be in the neighborhood of $40/chair, within my budget. Decision on finish will be made next week when they come down for Christmas.

This gives me until October to get them finished before our annual drive to Chicago. Looking forward to doing this In addition to the chairs, I will be making the Curio Cabinet that was featured in Wood Magazine a few years ago. This will be made out of some of the cherry wood from her FIL. I will have more questions on that once I get some pictures taken of the wood. You won't believe the grain in some of the cherry wood.

Thanks for your replies.

Lago

Comment

• greenacres2
                    • Dec 2011
                    • La Porte, IN
                    • Ryobi BT3000

I've done teak oil on cedar and really like the look. On the lighter colored pieces, it reminds me of an aged spruce top on old, fine acoustic guitar. Sets off the red tones really nicely as well and looks great to me.

Caveats...it's only been on the tables for 6 months or so (southern tip of Lake Michigan) so i don't know how often i'll have to refinish. And...you eyes may not find as likable as mine.

earl

Comment

• sailor55330
                      Established Member
                      • Jan 2010

I'd go Cedar. I live in MN so the winters are pretty close to the Chicago area. For finishing, I find a good oil based stain seems to hold up the best. I have not tried teak oil, but I would be a little concerned about it staining clothing at least initially. I did my cedar deck with TWP stain this year and so far, it looks like it is holding up very well. Only problem with Cedar is that it is very soft and will show the occasion ding from the oops moment.

PS---I've had terrible luck with Cabot and SW stains for outdoor furniture and decking.

Comment

Working...