• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RDavidP
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2011
    • Maryland

Glossy finish for Poplar

I am making a "five board" bench as I need a quick Christmas present, and these look fairly quick and easy to make. I know Charles Neil shows a finishing technique in his video, but I don't want to artifically age or distress the bench. I want a new bench that time and use will distress. I am using Poplar because I saw a board with nice white wood on the outside and the green wood in the middle, and I though it looked pretty. I do not want to stain this or dye it. All I want to do is put some kind of protective clear shiny finish on it. What do you all recommend? The bench may go outside, but it will be under a big covered patio.
  • chopnhack
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2006
    • Florida
    • Ryobi BT3100

Shellac to seal followed by several coats of poly
    I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

I might agree with chop. Since you want it shiny an oil base poly would likely be the best bet. But if it's exposed outdoors or to the elements, a spar urethane might be better. The down side`to the spar is that it's softer than a non spar urethane, and takes a long time to cure...several weeks.

Comment

• jdon
        Established Member
        • Feb 2010
        • Snoqualmie, Wash.
        • BT3100

If "quick" is an issue, and you have a compressor and good ventilation, consider spraying lacquer. You can have it finished with several coats built up in one day.

Comment

• chopnhack
          Veteran Member
          • Oct 2006
          • Florida
          • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by jdon
          If "quick" is an issue, and you have a compressor and good ventilation, consider spraying lacquer. You can have it finished with several coats built up in one day.
          If you decide to go this direction consider General Finishes water base poly. Dries quick like lacquer, but has uv stabilizers in it. I think lacquer outdoors subject to vast temp swings might crack. Maybe Jdon will post again if he has used this for outdoor projects.
          Last edited by chopnhack; 12-15-2012, 09:04 PM.

Comment

• jdon
            Established Member
            • Feb 2010
            • Snoqualmie, Wash.
            • BT3100

Sorry- I don't have experience with lacquer and outdoor exposure - you're absolutely right- water based poly is a better option.

Comment

• chopnhack
              Veteran Member
              • Oct 2006
              • Florida
              • Ryobi BT3100

Sorry- I don't have experience with lacquer and outdoor exposure - you're absolutely right- water based poly is a better option.
              I'm a fan of lacquer too, but I always thought it would be too brittle for outdoors, end up getting those fine cracks and crazes throughout.

Comment

• cabinetman
                Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                • Jun 2006
                • So. Florida
                • Delta

As long as the furniture isn't subjected to the elements WB poly would be OK.

Comment

Working...