X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jussi
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007

Computer desk - ventilation

My next big project is going to be a computer desk. I'd like to house the computer and ups. The comp will obviously be generating a bit of heat so ventilation will be an issue. Any suggestions on a nice looking mesh? I wast thinking about using window screen material. The housing will be on the right side of the desk. I want to avoid putting the mesh on any visible part of the desk (so the right side in this case). If I put the mesh on left, back, and bottom of the enclosure would that be enough ventilation?
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

I wouldn't use a fine screen. If you use forced air cooling It will plug up quickly with dust and its not that transparent to airflow to begin with. Use coarser items. A bunch of quarter inch holes or a metal grate with 1/2" openings. Of course a large area is better than a small area.

Are you planning on a fan? if you have a heat source in a enclosed area with restricted air movement the air in the enclosure will rise. Every degree the air around the computer rises means that the processor is also a degree hotter. You must blow room temperature air over the case to get maximum cooling. Preferably your computer will have more fans inside that will take the room temperature air at the case openings and blow it past the heat sinks on the processors to keep it cool. If you use a fan make sure it pulls air through and past the computer and not just from the vent directly next to it. IN other words the intake and outlet should be on opposite sides of your enclosure.

Good luck.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 11-30-2012, 12:32 AM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• jussi
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007

Some good tips. The reason i wanted to use the screen initially was to keep dust from getting to the comp. but i guess it could also starve it of air. Maybe some way of easily removing it for cleaning?

The case will have at least 4 chasis fans and possibly another 2. I thought about adding a fan to the enclosure. But what kind? I'd need it to be small and thin enough to fit. Would it have to be constantly on or should i have a switch outside?

After I come up with a prototype I think I'm going to build a box with the necessary vents and see what kind of temps I generate.
      Last edited by jussi; 11-30-2012, 12:57 AM.
      I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• Cochese
        Veteran Member
        • Jun 2010

How about routed slots into the desk? Would look very clean.

Also, most important is how you route air through the case itself. Most builders prefer to take air in through the front, over the drives, and out the top and/or back. If this applies to you, you really only need to make sure the ventilation front and back is adequate. A PC case will only get hot if the internals get hot. Airflow is the answer.
        I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

If the cabinet is to be placed near a wall, you could leave the back off, or use a half back.

Comment

• trungdok
            Established Member
            • Oct 2012
            • MA

Like others have stated, airflow is the key. Having the mesh is not going to help much, IMO, since it's very restrictive to airflow. Having 4 chassis fans, I'm assuming you have 1 on the back, possibly 1 on top, and 2 on the removable side panel of the case (let's say left side). Also, that you have an internal fan near the front of the case to draw air in. In this case, I would consider the following:

1. Make sure that the front of the housing have adequate opening for fresh air intake.
            2. Make the housing big enough to have at least:
            2a. 1-2" of space to the right of the case
            2b. 3-4" of space to the left
            2c. 3-4" of space on the top
            3. Keep the back of the housing open
            4. Wire a case fan to sit at the top left of the housing to help push air from the left, rear, and top fans out. This way the fan will only go on when you have your computer on. I would make sure that this is a big fan with lower rpm but bigger air flow capacity.
            4a. Or, put it on the top right of the left panel of the housing - provide some for your legs during the cold winter months.

However, since this is a woodworking forum, how about make that housing be your computer case? Make it so that the left panel be (or have a) removable. The components of the computer be mounted on the inside. Have a solid back panel. The case fan be mounted on the rear and left panel (again, provides heat for the cold winter month. Route the lower part of the front panel (or door) to create some opening and mount a fan to draw fresh air in. You can also create something to direct the hot air from major component (graphic card, cpu..) directly to the case fans which will reduce the overall temp in your housing dramatically.

My 2 cents.

Comment

• mckenna
              Handtools only
              • Mar 2021

Hmm. I'd be concerned about window screen.

Comment

• GrumpyDad
                Established Member
                • Jul 2020
                • Midwest
                • Ryobi BT3100, BT3000, Sawstop PCS

I used scotch brite scrub pads mounted in small wooden picture frame.
                Harumpf!
                GrumpyDad

Comment

Working...