Design question. Computer LAN rack / armoire.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Design question. Computer LAN rack / armoire.

Not your everyday project, but I need to build a discrete LAN rack that includes sufficient space to house 8 desktop PCs, a large external RAID enclosure, 2 rack mountable network switches, a rack mountable KVM, 4 UPSes, 2 24" flat screen monitors, a keyboard and a mouse. This is for a SOHO installation for an IT guy where the owner literally wants to conceal the LAN housing into a piece of furniture.

I can figure the dimensions out, I am really looking to see if anyone else has done something similar, and hoping to get some feedback to airflow. How do I keep this from being an oven for those processors?
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • JSUPreston
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2005
    • Montgomery, AL.
    • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

I think you're right. The cooling is going to be an issue. Another issue I see is going to be the noise. 8 machines and an external RAID array are going to be pretty loud. Heck, a couple of Cisco 3750's can be pretty noisy by themselves.
    "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

Yeah, plenty noisy, but nothing compared to a rack full of Dell PowerEdge R910s starting up... Or worse, some of the old Sun hardware...

These are Quad Core boxes that comprise a virtualization cluster, and SAN filer head for a private cloud that services the network and a single workstation for, well workstation work...
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• JoeyGee
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2005
        • Sylvania, OH, USA.
        • BT3100-1

I would start with an exsisting plain jane rack and then build a "box" to go around it. Maybe even make all four sides removable panels.
        Joe

Comment

Working...